Matusz 2011, Tillman 2017, Harvey 2021

TonySoprano

How long before the O's cut bait on Harvey?  First, consider these lines in the past 11 years

Matusz 11 GS, 10.69 ERA, FIP 7.66, set record for worst ERA for a pitcher with at least 10 starts (Halladay, 2000)
Tillman, 24 G, 19 GS 7.84 ERA.  FIP 6.93,  if you add 2018 it's 31G, 26 GS, 8.42 ERA
Harvey  13 GS,  7.41 ERA

Dishonorable mentions
2019 Hess 23 G, 14 GS, 7.09 ERA, FIP 7.26
2011 Norris 18G, 11 GS 7.06 ERA,  FIP 5.64, cut Aug 8
2017 Jiménez 31 G, 25 GS, 6.81 ERA  FIP 5.54, Tillman made him look good by comparison

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, sevastras said:

They need someone to throw innings and aren’t looking to win, so probably a long leash. I will go to my grave saying they screwed up Matusz and he would be a totally different guy under this regime or another team. 

Buck and his stolen base fetish.

• Like 1

An ERA of 7.41 in the context of 2021 is almost as bad as an ERA of 7.84 in 2017.  BB-Ref gives Harvey an ERA+ of 59 for this season so far, while Tillman had a 55 ERA+ in 2017.   Harvey already has -1.4 WAR; Tillman got -2.2 WAR for all of 2017.  

I sometimes wonder whether the O's make handshake agreements with veteran free agents to not cut them or change their role before a certain number of appearances, regardless of performance.  Remember how bad Russ Ortiz was in 2006?   Yet the O's kept giving him chances--20 appearances and over 40 innings pitched despite an ERA over 8.  

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Another dishonorable mention:

1998 Doug Drabek 23 G, 21 GS, 7.29 ERA, and gave up 20 home runs in 108.2 innings pitched. 

Looking back, the fall-off from 1997 to 1998 in the starting rotation is insane. The Orioles had just come off an ALCS berth and they decided to bring in....Doug Drabek? And even after he clearly sucked (he was also terrible in 1997 so there was no reason to bring him in in the first place) they still trotted him out there for over 100 innings? I get that this was the height of the steroid era and ERA’s were upwardly inflated and Jimmy Key got hurt and Scott Kamienicki fell off but looking back, Drabek is a REAL head scratcher. 

22 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They don’t need anyone to eat innings now.

Give his innings to Kremer or Lowther.

Kremer needs to start the conversion to RP. He could be tough in 1-2 innings spurts. Lowther doesn’t have the command to get away with his mediocre stuff at the ML level in any capacity. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Kremer needs to start the conversion to RP. He could be tough in 1-2 innings spurts. Lowther doesn’t have the command to get away with his mediocre stuff at the ML level in any capacity. 

I think it’s more likely Kremer ends up in the pen but they should give him more starts to figure that out for sure.

On 6/9/2021 at 10:09 PM, sevastras said:

They need someone to throw innings and aren’t looking to win, so probably a long leash. I will go to my grave saying they screwed up Matusz and he would be a totally different guy under this regime or another team. 

Add Matusz to the list