Ask me about a prospect. (Early July)

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, how hard is it to gauge players this year?  We are seeing a lot of guys who are “old” for their leagues playing well.  But every team is dealing with that because of the circumstances of 2020.  Do you find it more challenging to rank these guys until they get to AA?

Since the age is up for most leagues across the board, it's not really an issue. the Orioles have done a good job of being fairly aggressive with some players this year and especially with the players who it was sink or swim time.

Obviously success at AA and AAA weighs heavily vs success at lower levels because that's when the talent gets closer to major league caliber. I really wish the MLB ball was used throughout the minors for pitchers sake since it's tough to know whether these guys will still be able to spin the ball as effectively with the lower seams of the major league ball. 

The power rankings are really making me stay more on top of players throughout the year and of course the MiLB videos are helping as well.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Watkins threw 59% strikes last night.  Akin has thrown 67% strikes this year and 64% last year.   Kremer threw 61% last year and 59% this year.    So I’d say it’s not really about throwing strikes.   But it may be about where those strikes are thrown.   I feel like Watkins did a nice job staying around the edges of the zone in all four quadrants.    He was able to jam a few guys.   

Is today you day to pick apart every comment? :D

Dude, all we did is make a comment about how Kremer and Akin have been disappointing. I really didn't do the analysis of why Watkins did better other than he threw a lot of cutters and the pitch was not hit very hard. i personally don't think his stuff will play long term, but I'm certainly willing to be proven wrong.

9 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

What's the deal with Brett Cumberland? Severino and Wynns look more atrocious with every outing. Obviously, we're talking about someone who can back up Adley, but at what point does Cumberland get a chance?

Well if he can bring his amazing ability to get hit by a pitch up to the majors they might have something. :D

Honestly, I'd have no issues with giving him a shot. I've watched him enough this year to think he's not awful defensively and will get into a ball once in awhile. He's throwing better this year as well.

Do I think he's an answer to anything other than potentially a back up option to Rutschman, not but I'd be fine if the Orioles decided to give him the second half of the season at the major league level.

On 7/6/2021 at 3:41 PM, Tony-OH said:

Stowers is an interesting player because he has some tools to work off of and he's starting to tap into his power a little bit more during game time. He seems to hold his own against lefties and he's shown some ability work counts. He runs well, and defensively, he's best suited for corner outfield and arm looks pretty solid. 

He's probably going to jump Diaz in the rankings here soon, especially since he has the skill of staying healthy. He's definitely a guy that has a chance to be an everyday outfielder in the big league still. 

He is certainly has legit tools. The only question for me is the length of his swing. If he shortens that up, he should shore up the strikeouts some with better swing decisions.

37 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Where do you rank Adley on the list of all time Os prospects that you have watched?  

Well I can't lie, Weiters looked like the best player in the minors at his time. His dominance then was unparalled. Erik 
Bedard had the best stuff from a starter stand point. Grayson Rodriguez probably is the best now. 

Rutschman is right up there with Wieters from a prospect stand point of having a chance to be impact in both parts of the game.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Tony, what are your thoughts on Rob Neustrom? He has flashed some serious power, and he has been a steady, if unspectacular performer for Bowie. 

Curious about him too. In his last 11 games he's got a .429/.571/.833/1.404 line. And then of course there's this insanity from a month ago:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Tony, what are your thoughts on Rob Neustrom? He has flashed some serious power, and he has been a steady, if unspectacular performer for Bowie. 

He's really started to grow on me this year. In 2019 I thought he was a little stiff and showed little game power, but he looks to be in great condition this year and has started to tap into his raw power more in game time. His improved plate discipline is good to see as well. 

Defensively he's going to be best in the corners since he runs average at best, but he covers ground well, his routes seem ok, and arm is solid average for left field and maybe a tick below for RF.

I think he'll start climbing the prospect ladder if he keeps producing.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1