2021 Draft Thread

4 hours ago, Hazmat said:

Here's MLB.com's top players that remain available:

Will Taylor, OF, Dutch Forks (S.C.) HS (No. 20)
Peyton Stovall, SS, Haughton (La.) HS (No. 29)
Gage Jump, LHP, JSerra Catholic (Calif.) HS (No. 43)
Chase Burns, RHP, Beech (Tenn.) HS (No. 47)
Jackson Baumeister, RHP, The Bolles School (Fla.) HS (No. 53)
Thatcher Hurd, RHP, Mira Costa (Calif.) HS (No. 60)
Tommy Dilandri, OF, Palo Verde (NV) HS (No. 61)
Alex Mooney, SS, St. Marys Prep (MI) (No. 64)
Braden Montgomery, OF/RHP, Madison Central (MS) HS (No. 66)
Davis Diaz, SS/C, Acalanes (Calif.) HS (No. 71)

Taylor goes to the Rangers in the 19th round.

Just 3 picks ahead of us.   Damn!   Maybe we were targeting him with our next pick and the Rangers swooped in.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Taylor goes to the Rangers in the 19th round.

Just 3 picks ahead of us.   Damn!   Maybe we were targeting him with our next pick and the Rangers swooped in.

If we were I don't think a college senior was the back up choice. Fingers crossed we see the overslot kid in Round 20. Otherwise, this draft is a real headscratcher. 

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The difference is, I don't think he saved near that much from 1-10.  We'll see.

There's 600K the O's can go over without loss of pick. Three college senior signs for slot allotments of over $1M should net your at least $800K in cap room based on when they were taken (they weren't Top 100 type talents that happened to be seniors). Very unlikely Cowser is over-slot and I'd say likely he's slightly under -- maybe 200-300K? -- so just with that you have close to $2MM if room if you want it. Again, maybe Trimble and Rhodes are actually significant over-slot based on asking. I haven't heard that but it's possible.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

This draft is disappointing only for the fact that we did not manage signing bonus allotments properly. I don't mind the guys we picked. In fact, I like the college talent we drafted, but we got hoodwinked into not cutting a better deal with Cowser and then overpaying guys like the kentucky OF and the Southern Missouri OF. 

Think this is a follow though -- draft in case he changes mind but likely to head back to school and try and win a natty at NC State.

28 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

KC drafted Luca Tresh, C from NC State, the 101st best prospect according to MLB.com, 2 picks after ours in the 17th.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I'm jealous of Arizona right now. They took Lawlar when we could have and still managed to grab a couple overslot kids in Davis Diaz and Eric Hammond today.

They also took Jacob Steinmetz, the first practicing Orthodox Jew ever taken in the draft.

He will pitch on the Sabbath, however he has to walk to the stadium and now use a car.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

So 4 college seniors, 4 college juniors, and a grad student later, whaddya think, we have maybe  a cool million left for our 20th round pick?

No I think if they were spending they were doing it in the first few rounds today. I have no clue where the money is going. No way I would have expected Trimble/Rhodes to be over-slot picks, and while I don't think Cowser should be a big discount I do think maybe 200-300K is reasonable. There should be a couple million available by my math -- not sure what I'm missing.

• Upvote 1