2021 Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Those terrible teams allowed them to draft #1 back to back years. 

True.  But the past 2 years have shown that just because the O's have a high draft position doesn't mean they'll take the consensus top-rated players.  In other words, they could likely pick pick around 15 and still get the guys that fit Elias' model.

1 minute ago, Hazmat said:

True.  But the past 2 years have shown that just because the O's have a high draft position doesn't mean they'll take the consensus top-rated players.  In other words, they could likely pick pick around 15 and still get the guys that fit Elias' model.

I don’t follow the NFL Draft to the extent of many people but comparing the draft consensus of NFL and MLB draft is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Obviously NFL teams make picks that are different than mocks all the time. That said baseball is dealing with a high rate of picks not hitting and the NFL isn’t projecting how good a high school player will be. It makes sense that baseball would have a wider range of opinions than the NFL. 

I do wonder if at some point we will see MLB allow draft picks traded other than Competitive picks. 

31 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t follow the NFL Draft to the extent of many people but comparing the draft consensus of NFL and MLB draft is like comparing apples to oranges. 

Obviously NFL teams make picks that are different than mocks all the time. That said baseball is dealing with a high rate of picks not hitting and the NFL isn’t projecting how good a high school player will be. It makes sense that baseball would have a wider range of opinions than the NFL. 

I do wonder if at some point we will see MLB allow draft picks traded other than Competitive picks. 

I don’t disagree.  I wasn’t making the case that the drafts are comparable.

Kiley McDaniel’s take on our draft:

Orioles

1 (5): Colton Cowser, CF, Sam Houston State
2 (41): Connor Norby, 2B, East Carolina
CB-B (65): Reed Trimble, OF, Southern Miss
3 76): John Rhodes, OF, Kentucky
4 (106): Donta' Williams, OF, Arizona
5 (137): Carlos Tavera, RHP, University of Texas - Arlington

The O's did another Mike Elias special here with what will surely be a healthy underslot deal in the top five picks. Cowser is roughly a 10th-overall talent (12th on my board) with an advanced hit tool, center-field fit and emerging power, and the main issues being his overall ceiling and that he faced mid-major competition at Sam Houston. It's a fine decision, but not one I would've made with my top overall prospect, shortstop Jordan Lawlar, and my No. 5, Kahlil Watson, still on the board. It all comes down to how those savings were spent, and this crop of prospects isn't awe-inspiring.

Norby is one of the surest bats in the college class, Trimble is a later-blooming college tools bet, and Rhodes is a solid value with an unlucky BABIP season. I like bat-first ninth-rounder Ryan Higgins out of Fresno State and data-friendly 11th-rounder RHP Dylan Heid out of Pitt-Johnstown, but it seems like this solid class is missing the big upside swing that balances out the Cowser savings.

While what McDaniels says seems true he ignores that Elias may have been going by a different criteria.   Instead of high ceiling Elias may have been focused on the best talent that he could get to help in 2023 by drafting college players.    Maybe Elias feels if the team does not show result by 2023 he will not have to worry about 2024 and thereafter.