Dominican Summer League - 2021

UMDTerrapins

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, waynebug said:

So now Lara is batting .357/.472/.643  with an OPS of 1.115 thru 13 games and 28 at bats.  Shame he missed so much time.  For some reason.  

Lefty centerfielder with (some) power and speed.

Nice job.  Lara and Delosantos, the 3B, are our top 17 yo performers, while Basallo and Hernandez were the top two signings.  Basallo has had a very solid season, and Hernandez has been a little disappointing.

Cesar Alvarez was the winning pitcher for Orioles 1, 6 to 4.  The best pitcher in the DSL for either team, Orioles 1 or 2.

Alvarez just turned 19.  6'1", 175 lbs.  10 starts, 43 innings, 32 hits, 19 walks, 60 strikeouts.

If he throws hard enough  they'll leave him as a starter next year in Florida.  If he he doesn't throw hard enough they will make him a middle reliever.

That's what happened to Hector Lopez.  Great results in 2019 DSL but only threw in the upper 80s so converted to the bullpen this year in Florida.

8 minutes ago, waynebug said:

Cesar Alvarez was the winning pitcher for Orioles 1, 6 to 4.  The best pitcher in the DSL for either team, Orioles 1 or 2.

Alvarez just turned 19.  6'1", 175 lbs.  10 starts, 43 innings, 32 hits, 19 walks, 60 strikeouts.

If he throws hard enough  they'll leave him as a starter next year in Florida.  If he he doesn't throw hard enough they will make him a middle reliever.

That's what happened to Hector Lopez.  Great results in 2019 DSL but only threw in the upper 80s so converted to the bullpen this year in Florida.

How do you know all of this stuff?

Lopez was a starter for Orioles DSL in 2019.  Almost all his appearances were starts.  He threw a total of 51 innings.  His manager down there said he threw in the upper 80s in an 2019 interview.  It was in Orioles Minors is how I knew this.  

Forward to 2021.  He has only 2 starts.  All the other 8 or so appearances were in relief (I think he is currently injured).  For only 18 innings.

If I have the time I might try to find those posts.  I think Kubatco or Melewski conducted the interviews.

Cesar Alvarez is right-handed with 60 strikeouts in 43 innings.  He almost certainly throws SOMEWHERE in the 90s.  Lefthanders can rack up strikeouts just on their funky deliveries. Right-handers require plus velocity. Until we learn more we can watch his progress.  Whether he starts or relieves next year will tell us a lot.

Steve Melewski August 22 2019 masnsports.com  

Melewski interviews Felipe Rojas Alou Jr, the Director of the Orioles Dominican Academy.  They talk about Orioles 1 , including Hector Lopez.

The son of the famous Atlanta Braves outfielder.

Melewski also interviewed him on August 17.  They talk about Orioles 2 and some talk about the "Tricky League" I believe.  With the January signing date I don't think there is a Tricky League until they (hopefully) go back to July 2.

Next to last day of the DSL season.

Orioles 2 wins 5 to 4.  Angel Tejada stays hot.  3 for 4 with a triple.   Hitting .322/.392./.402 playing 2nd base.  I think his bonus was around $200,000.  Converted shortstop,  of course.  Only 4 errors while learning 2nd base.

Prospect-heavy Orioles 1 loses again 7 to 4. 

Millionaire shortstop Maikol Hernandez goes 2 for 4.

Millionaire catcher Samuel Basallo goes 2 for 4. 

Speedy centerfielder Junior Lara goes 3 or 4  with a triple.  Now at .375/.475/.600. Missed most of the season, injured ?  His sample size is large enough to certify he is for real. Modest  $160,000 bonus.  More good scouting by Koby Perez and gang.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, waynebug said:

Next to last day of the DSL season.

Orioles 2 wins 5 to 4.  Angel Tejada stays hot.  3 for 4 with a triple.   Hitting .322/.392./.402 playing 2nd base.  I think his bonus was around $200,000.  Converted shortstop,  of course.  Only 4 errors while learning 2nd base.

Prospect-heavy Orioles 1 loses again 7 to 4. 

Millionaire shortstop Maikol Hernandez goes 2 for 4.

Millionaire catcher Samuel Basallo goes 2 for 4. 

Speedy centerfielder Junior Lara goes 3 or 4  with a triple.  Now at .375/.475/.600. Missed most of the season, injured ?  His sample size is large enough to certify he is for real. Modest  $160,000 bonus.  More good scouting by Koby Perez and gang.

Lara’s certainly got a ticket for Sarasota for next spring, despite his short season.  

DSL season over !!!!!!

Prospect- light Orioles 2 beats prospect- loaded Orioles One,  13 to 10.

Orioles 1 

Stud 3rd baseman De Los Santos rested today.  Finished at .321/.415/.477  2  homers , 3 for 4 steals.  15 walks to 18 strikeouts.

Speedy Centerfielder Junior Lara goes 1 for 4 with a double.  Hits .364/1.033 OPS  1 Homer, all 3 steals were successful.  Only had 44 at bats, injured.  Slightly more air outs than ground outs

Millionaire catcher Basallo goes 2 for 4  with a walk, his 5th Homer and 6th double. Hits .263/.349./.447  Led the team in Homers and RBIs.   Earned his 1.3 million dollar bonus.

Orioles 2

2nd baseman Angel Tejada pinch hit with a triple. Ended batting .330/398.432.  Huge 1st year for the $200,00 bonus 17 year old converting from shortstop.  No homers and only 2 for 6 in stolen bases.  (Bad)

18 year old,  shortstop Frederick Bencosme goes 3 for 4 with his 6th double and 3rd triple.  Ends the season .283/.341/.774. 2 Homers. 8 for 9 in stolen bases.  60% of his outs are in the air (good sign).  9 errors at short, 3 errors at 2nd, 2 errors at 3rd.  6'0" 160 lbs bats lefthanded (good)

To me, he was the biggest unknown and most pleasant surprise of all. Should be Orioles 2 MVP if they had an award.

(All this crap is merely my opinion except the numbers)

On 9/17/2021 at 6:35 PM, waynebug said:

I really liked his article.  I take the Athletic also for Keith Law and other baseball articles.  This is his breakdown on Hall.

Fastball 65

Curve 55

Slider 50

Changeup 60

Control 40

Command 40

Could have drafted Texas A&M  lefthander  Asa Lacy last year instead of another corner outifielder. College lefthander with lots of Stuff but command issues.   Lacy was #6 on Bowden's list.

Lacy is MLB's #67 overall prospect.

• Upvote 1

Great posts by waynebug.  I appreciate all that info.    

I agreed with the folks who thought Lacy would have been a smart pick for us, but 41 walks, 8 HBP's, 10 wild pitches in 52 innings... even with the great SO numbers, seems like he's got a longgg way to go - at 22.  

On 9/18/2021 at 6:39 PM, waynebug said:

DSL season over !!!!!!

Uh, waynebug….hate to tell you, but rumors of the DSL season being over are greatly exaggerated.    They’re still playing and will play through October 2.  This week Orioles 2 are 0-3, Orioles 1 are 0-2 with one canceled game.