People are always picking on Pedro Severino, but…

Frobby

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You can get them by going to the O’s page for a given year on BB-ref, going to “pitching splits” and then “by catcher.”   In 2018, the O’s had a 6.02 ERA when Wynns caught, worst of the four catchers by a full run.   In 2019 the team ERA with Wynns was 4.90, best of the catchers, half a run better than Severino and a run better than Sisco and Sucre.  

Hm, seems pretty random but something to keep an eye on. For what it's worth, baseballsavant seems to like his framing. 

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Neither Severino or Wynns is a good option, however, I’m surprised no one has cited any other defensive numbers besides the questionable CERA. 

It’s pretty clear Severino is horrible. Wynns isn’t great, but he has thrown out 50% (yes, SSS 6 of 12 but I’ll take it) of base stealers this year. He’s slightly below average (-2 DRS, Severino is 28% for his career, but only 19% this year and -6 DRS, -15 career.

Framing? Wynns -1.6, Severino -6.3.

How about passed balls and wild pitches? Yeah, SSS for Wynns again, but 0 PB and 5 WP in 125 innings. Severino has 8 PB and 34 WP allowed in 484. He’ll surely blow by his 2019 total of 10 and 40. 

He’s quite possibly one of the worst defensive catchers I have ever witnessed and certainly not worth what he’s being paid.

I do hate Severino’s lack of pitch blocking skills.   I definitely think Wynns has him beat in that regard.   I suspect that Wynns’ “splay” style of receiving is good for pitch blocking, though as I said, it would distract me as a catcher to see him moving into that position as I was in my pitching motion.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do hate Severino’s lack of pitch blocking skills.   I definitely think Wynns has him beat in that regard.   I suspect that Wynns’ “splay” style of receiving is good for pitch blocking, though as I said, it would distract me as a catcher to see him moving into that position as I was in my pitching motion.

Honestly, if he was better about this one thing he'd be an overall decent catcher. It's just that he's SO bad at this one thing that it sours the whole package. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I did a quick check and I counted Severino being the catcher for Means 7 times and Sisco 5 times, so right there they are going to have an advantage over Wynns.

The starting rotation outside of Means has been historically awful this season, and I don't think anyone of these three catchers is going to have a statistically significant effect on pitcher ERA with this staff. 

Yes, Means has been great, and the rest pretty much zero.

Pedro brings more (not much at all but more...) on offense. He might get a hit , drive in a run to make the difference in a close game.

He needs a damn glove that's BROKEN IN tho! SOMETHING! I can't remember a catcher dropping so many balls that hit him right in the pocket!

5 hours ago, interloper said:

Honestly, if he was better about this one thing he'd be an overall decent catcher. It's just that he's SO bad at this one thing that it sours the whole package. 

As I noted earlier, it’s not just his inability to catch or block the ball. His framing is bad and he’s at a career low percentage for throwing out runners. 

I’m not crazy about his sequencing either.

22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If that.

But if you give me the choice of paying one of the other two the minimum or Pedro 2M I'm going with one of the other two.  Or Maverick because I'd totally promote a glove only college guy if those are my choices.

Maverick would be my first choice. It would be a night and day difference. 

On 7/15/2021 at 9:09 AM, Can_of_corn said:

If that.

But if you give me the choice of paying one of the other two the minimum or Pedro 2M I'm going with one of the other two.  Or Maverick because I'd totally promote a glove only college guy if those are my choices.

I look at Ben Rortvedt of the Twins.  Drafted out of HS but Twins jumped him from AA in 2019 into MLB pretty early this year and are giving him chances.  28 games 78 AB and hitting 0.132.  Twins stink and have no depth in Minors so he gets to run with it.  Makes you think manipulation for O's.  However, they have until Dec 2022 to move Handley or lose Handley.  Unless Adley can hit better, I don't see a reason why the O's wouldn't want to move them together.

Rutschman's splits:

Catcher (168 PA): .227 AVG, 7 doubles, 8 HR, 23 RBI, 23 BB, 30 K, .314 OBP, .788 OPS

First base (64 PA): .353 AVG, 3 doubles, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 11 BB, 9 K, .484 OBP, 1.073 OPS

DH (31 PA): .400 AVG, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 10 BB, 0 K, .581 OBP, 1.131 OPS

9 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I look at Ben Rortvedt of the Twins.  Drafted out of HS but Twins jumped him from AA in 2019 into MLB pretty early this year and are giving him chances.  28 games 78 AB and hitting 0.132.  Twins stink and have no depth in Minors so he gets to run with it.  Makes you think manipulation for O's.  However, they have until Dec 2022 to move Handley or lose Handley.  Unless Adley can hit better, I don't see a reason why the O's wouldn't want to move them together.

Rutschman's splits:

Catcher (168 PA): .227 AVG, 7 doubles, 8 HR, 23 RBI, 23 BB, 30 K, .314 OBP, .788 OPS

First base (64 PA): .353 AVG, 3 doubles, 3 HR, 9 RBI, 11 BB, 9 K, .484 OBP, 1.073 OPS

DH (31 PA): .400 AVG, 1 HR, 5 RBI, 10 BB, 0 K, .581 OBP, 1.131 OPS

You don't think those splits mean anything do you? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2021 at 4:38 PM, Can_of_corn said:

You don't think those splits mean anything do you? 

I do.  Since those stats, he played 10 games.  6 (4 catching) against the Hartford Yard Goats (worst team in all AA Northeast) His best game was 3-5 with 2 HR and a Dbl...while playing 1B.  He also went 1-3 during his DH game.  So 4-8 not behind the dish and 5-14 when behind the dish.  He did go 8-22 while catching with 1 HR and 7K... but 5 of those hits came against the worst team... which correlates.  

Orioles and writers are focusing on his overall numbers... not his catching numbers.  Hell, writers just celebrated that he threw out 2 runners in the same game and his defense is getting where it needs to be...  

I'll say it again... you want elite offense numbers, which he is capable of... then you don't want to keep him behind home plate.

26 minutes ago, CHIP said:

I do.  Since those stats, he played 10 games.  6 (4 catching) against the Hartford Yard Goats (worst team in all AA Northeast) His best game was 3-5 with 2 HR and a Dbl...while playing 1B.  He also went 1-3 during his DH game.  So 4-8 not behind the dish and 5-14 when behind the dish.  He did go 8-22 while catching with 1 HR and 7K... but 5 of those hits came against the worst team... which correlates.  

Orioles and writers are focusing on his overall numbers... not his catching numbers.  Hell, writers just celebrated that he threw out 2 runners in the same game and his defense is getting where it needs to be...  

I'll say it again... you want elite offense numbers, which he is capable of... then you don't want to keep him behind home plate.

Do we have any idea how his numbers split when catching in college?