Jorge Lopez in the first 4 innings

wildcard

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

4.14 ERA with 34 earned runs in 74 IP

ERA in the 5th inning: 17.47 in 11.1 IP

Season is half over.  He has shown us what he can do.   If he is effective for 4 innings, pitch him 4 innings and take him out.

My 2 cents

I quoted that stat in today's game thread too. Same thing demonstrated by his inning-by-inning OPS-against's: .750, .641, .806, .707, 1.349. His career stats also show that he's been much worse in the fifth (10.71 ERA in 40.33 fifth innings, 5.15 in 50.67 fourth innings).

But he turned in a fine 2/3 of a fifth today--Hyde took him out at the right time, considering Fry got the very dangerous Soto out on one pitch. This season, Lopez has thrown to only 18 batters in a sixth inning and 2 in a seventh all year.

9 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I think he could be a decent 3-4 IP long reliever on a good team

Or if the O's ever shift to using an opener, he might be a good second-fifth innings pitcher who would then be in line for more Wins.

I look forward to changing his deployment when maximizing MLB wins becomes a priority, and amid the massive failures of the 2021 Kremer Akin batch he's a little bit of encouragement.

A few days ago on the game there was a shot of him standing next to Mancini and the announcers mentioned his kiddo had recently had a successful operation.   Even back to his Brewers prospect days I remember stories he's been through a lot with a premature infant.

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/brewers/brewers-prospect-makes-mlb-debut-with-son-on-his-mind-b99585462z1-329820731.html/

The other tidbit that keeps me hopeful is still how Puerto Rico used him in the WBC way back when.  He and Berrios were basically their top two guys before Lopez had done much at the MLB level even though some other MLB randoms were part of the staff.   I believe there's a ~100 IP contributor to a successful team in there.

• Upvote 1