Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I’m watching MLBN and Dan O’Dowd defended them not trading him from the comp pick standpoint. Must not have been overwhelmed. He said they drafted Story with a comp pick and most WAR comes from first 2 rounds. 

I heard that the interim GM would rather have the comp pick if the deal wasn't good. The Arenado deal didn't go over well and they didn't want the Story deal to end up the same if fans thought they got a poor return again.

The Bryant trade is interesting in how much he got in return compared to what Manny returned.  The Cubs got Alexander Canario who was ranked as their number 10 prospect coming into season but was having a big year this season so would have moved up their list IMO.  He was a late international signing and only got 60k.   They also got Caleb Killian the Giants number 30 prospect in the deal.  Killian was a former Orioles draft selection as sophomore eligible guy out of college but we didn’t sign him.  He has been solid in minors but upside not super high.  You could say they got guys comparable to Diaz and Kramer and that is it.  We also got Pop, Bannon and Valera.

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

LOL @ the BJs already trading the great Austin Martin for a good but not great pitcher.

Wonder if their thoughts on how good Martin is have gone down?

I think the Jays biggest need is pitching so they went out and got an above average major league starter.  I wouldn’t have traded Rutschman or Torkelson for Berrios, but to me it’s a reasonable deal.  And I guess from the Jays standpoint they got an above average starter out of their pick, although only for 1.3 seasons.  

43 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

The Bryant trade is interesting in how much he got in return compared to what Manny returned.  The Cubs got Alexander Canario who was ranked as their number 10 prospect coming into season but was having a big year this season so would have moved up their list IMO.  He was a late international signing and only got 60k.   They also got Caleb Killian the Giants number 30 prospect in the deal.  Killian was a former Orioles draft selection as sophomore eligible guy out of college but we didn’t sign him.  He has been solid in minors but upside not super high.  You could say they got guys comparable to Diaz and Kramer and that is it.  We also got Pop, Bannon and Valera.

Yeah - I think the Giants made out like bandits on that deal.  That really surprised me.  Could that have been the Cubs best offer for Bryant?  

2 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Yeah - I think the Giants made out like bandits on that deal.  That really surprised me.  Could that have been the Cubs best offer for Bryant?  

Could be or they may have done what they could to send him where he wanted to go so maybe they can sign him back. No idea.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/31920403/winners-losers-how-all-30-teams-fared-dust-settles-thrilling-mlb-trade-deadline

WINNER, LOSER, WHO KNOWS?

Baltimore Orioles

The O's could maybe have gotten something for their veteran relievers, like Paul Fry, but they eventually have to start moving out of the talent-flipping phase. You can't trade everyone.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

Getting worked up about draft picks is a good way to look silly pretty quickly.

You can say that about anything.  If you have a strong opinion on something and want to voice it, there is nothing wrong with that.

But you also have to be ready to take the criticism when you are wrong and people who opposed you have to be ready for the “I told you so”.  Just the way it works.  

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You can say that about anything.  If you have a strong opinion on something and want to voice it, there is nothing wrong with that.

But you also have to be ready to take the criticism when you are wrong and people who opposed you have to be ready for the “I told you so”.  Just the way it works.  

I guess my point was more about how nobody on this board should have particularly strong feelings about the amateur draft, as they have very little information informing those feelings.

On 7/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, bpilktree said:

I'm still not sure what to make of Kilian. He's absolutely destroying the minors this year. Has an absurdly low bb%, is 94-96 and touching 98. Has a put away secondary,  but the reviews are pretty bland. Clearly Hoyer sees something that isn't being reported. The results do not match the write ups at all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pickles said:

I guess my point was more about how nobody on this board should have particularly strong feelings about the amateur draft, as they have very little information informing those feelings.

I think this is a fair point to make but I also think that you can make judgements based on what you hear and research. 

For example, I didn’t like Martin (I would have been ok drafting him but he wasn’t my first choice) because of the issues some felt were there and those issues have shown to be true.  

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think this is a fair point to make but I also think that you can make judgements based on what you hear and research. 

For example, I didn’t like Martin (I would have been ok drafting him but he wasn’t my first choice) because of the issues some felt were there and those issues have shown to be true.  

I mean, this is a message board, so I don't want to discourage anyone from sharing their opinions. But I guess there are a few guys- and I do not include you- that have been hyper-aggressively critical of Elias' draft strategy.

Martin was a flash point for some of them.

Martin may still well become a fine ML player.  I don't have very strong feelings about him.  But I do know one thing: If he was what some people were saying last year, the Jays wouldn't have traded him.

But yeah, making predictions/projections is one of the great pleasures of fandom.  But of all the things in fandom, what can be considered less understood than the scouting of amateur players?