Jonah Heim, Hero

HowAboutThat

Heim Hit two home runs tonight, including a 2-run walk off in the 10th. He is only hitting .220( 69 WRC yay) but is one of the best framing tandems in all of baseball, in the 100th percentile, which isn’t bad. 5 of 20 CS, only one PB.

I’m glad he’s doing well, I wonder if he would be better for us than Austin Wynns, or Sevi. Just idle speculation, I’m not screaming about trading him for Steve Pearce or anything, But boy I do wish we had a real catcher.

13 minutes ago, Philip said:

Heim Hit two home runs tonight, including a 2-run walk off in the 10th. He is only hitting .220( 69 WRC yay) but is one of the best framing tandems in all of baseball, in the 100th percentile, which isn’t bad. 5 of 20 CS, only one PB.

I’m glad he’s doing well, I wonder if he would be better for us than Austin Wynns, or Sevi. Just idle speculation, I’m not screaming about trading him for Steve Pearce or anything, But boy I do wish we had a real catcher.

They do have a real catcher. He’s currently at Bowie.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was talking about our current tandem, who should also be at Bowie…seriously, though, I’d love to get one of the other guys up for a spell and see what he can do.

Yeah, Heim would have been a good option defensively. Maybe Cumberland comes up before the year’s out. He’s no great shakes behind the dish, though.

51 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yeah, Heim would have been a good option defensively. Maybe Cumberland comes up before the year’s out. He’s no great shakes behind the dish, though.

I don’t know where Hanley is or whether he’s an option, but if we have any defenders, I’d love to see one of them.

LOL, I saw the thread title and figured Heim had saved some children from a burning building or something.   Turns out all he’d done was play a good baseball game for a terrible team.   Pretty sure Severino hit two homers for us in a game this week.

That to one side, I’m glad Heim has carved out a niche in the majors.  I find it interesting that he and Trevino are ranking high in the framing stats, considering that Texas ranks 11th in the AL in ERA.   Imagine how bad they’d be without their catchers!

• Upvote 1

Well, for those who are keeping count, Jonah Heim did it again just now, With a final bat walk off home run. The people in Seattle are unhappy.

And yes @Frobby Severino has probably hit three home runs in two games, and more than once too, And his lifetime WRC is probably twice what Jonah’s is, but it’s nice to see an Ex O doing well. 

Edited by Philip

14 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Didn’t his mom post on here?

13 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Defending him after a poster ripped him?

12 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Yeah wasn’t it @Frobby who “ripped” him? ?

No, I don’t think I ever ripped Heim and I don’t remember his mother posting here either.   I did say something about Parker Bridwell once that prompted a response from his mother’s account along the lines of “I bet you’re 40 years old and live in your mother’s basement.”   His mother later PM’d me to say she hadn’t sent that message, it was somebody else who had access to her account here.   Whatever I said about Bridwell was pretty mild if I recall correctly.   

I’m not obsessing over Jonah Heim, far from it, But for all those cough cough well intentioned posters who claim that I overvalue defense, I’d like to point out that with 184 ABs, Heim is already worth 1.1 fWAR despite hitting .227 with an 87 WRC. Severino is, in 263 ABs, worth .02 fWAR with a .231 BA and an 88 WRC( and I just noticed that each has 8 HRs but Heim got his in 79 fewer ABs.)

Defense is the difference and it’s not nothing. Heim is one of the best framers in all MLB and has only one PB to date. Sevi has…several.

8 hours ago, Philip said:

I’m not obsessing over Jonah Heim, far from it, But for all those cough cough well intentioned posters who claim that I overvalue defense, I’d like to point out that with 184 ABs, Heim is already worth 1.1 fWAR despite hitting .227 with an 87 WRC. Severino is, in 263 ABs, worth .02 fWAR with a .231 BA and an 88 WRC( and I just noticed that each has 8 HRs but Heim got his in 79 fewer ABs.)

Defense is the difference and it’s not nothing. Heim is one of the best framers in all MLB and has only one PB to date. Sevi has…several.

I’ve noticed you frequently move the decimal point on players you don’t like.  It’s 0.2 fWAR, not .02.   

Meanwhile, BB-ref has it 0.6 for Severino, 0.0 for Heim.   

But, I don’t think anyone should discount defense.   It’s very important.  I checked three different framing metrics to see if Fangraphs was an outlier, and it’s not.  Heim is very strong by all three measures.   And nobody doubts that Severino is bad at it.