Mountcastle is heating up (August edition)

Frobby

2 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He had 7 walks in first 57 games for a 3.6%. He's had 16 in the last 42 games for a 9.3%

He walked 101 times in 2217 plate appearances in minors or a 4.5%

I don't' think he's *figured it out, but there is room for optimism.  

BB% stabilizes to an r^2 of 50% at like 120 plate appearances, so that 9.3% in the last 42% is quite meaningful.

BB% is more a function of how dangerous your bat is, and the fact that he hit a lot of home runs recently is probably the cause.  No one would mistake Vlad Guerrero's plate discipline for Joey Votto yet he consistently walked well over 10% of his plate appearances.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yark14 said:

I disagree.  I think he'll be part of the annual MVP discussion starting as early as next year.  His bat is that good.

I hope you're right. But playing first, his OPS is going to have to sniff 1000 for that to be true.  I don't see that happening next year, or probably ever, due to the aforementioned discipline issues.  Now, he's made some strides this year on that, and I referenced them in my op speaking on how I felt you had to feel good about his season so far, so I won't say it is impossible, but it's hard to see him developing into a .400 obp guy, which is where we would need to be to fulfill your prediction.

5 hours ago, crowmst3k! said:

Ryan is now at .3 RWAR.  Considering he was at -1 RWAR not too long ago, that's an impressive turnaround.  

Dude still needs to get on base more before I get particularly excited about him.  

I am excited for him to make a run at being an MVP Andre Dawson bad selection for Rookie of the Year.*

He's a win behind Adolis (old guy drag) and Arozarena (World Series fatigue + a little old too), and about to take the rookie RBI lead off the Ranger.   Ain't no rookie pitchers gonna be getting the playing time equivalent of the 650+ PA coming his way.

*Because, apparently, this is what we get to root for in August and September.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

From what I can see, his time in LF cost him about .5 WAR.

16 hours ago, Pickles said:

That's about 10 games too.  It's hard to believe.

18 starts, 20 games.   I’m personally of the opinion that he’d improve if given more reps out there.   There simply wasn’t a good reason to do it with Hays and Santander manning the corners most days.   

Just now, Frobby said:

18 starts, 20 games.   I’m personally of the opinion that he’d improve if given more reps out there.   There simply wasn’t a good reason to do it with Hays and Santander manning the corners most days.   

Mancini was a passable LFer.  No reason Mountcastle can’t get to that level imo.  Still don’t want either out there.  OF defense is becoming very important in an age where everyone is trying to hit the ball in the air as far as they can.

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Mancini was a passable LFer.  No reason Mountcastle can’t get to that level imo.  Still don’t want either out there.  OF defense is becoming very important in an age where everyone is trying to hit the ball in the air as far as they can.

One of my big disappointments this year is that both Santander and Hays have been hobbled a bit and their OF defense has suffered.   OAA to date:

Mullins +8

McKenna +3

Hays -2

Stewart -4

Santander -5

Mountcastle -6

Last year Santander and Hays were both at +1.    Mountcastle was at 0 in 17 starts, 23 games in LF.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One of my big disappointments this year is that both Santander and Hays have been hobbled a bit and their OF defense has suffered.   OAA to date:

Mullins +8

McKenna +3

Hays -2

Stewart -4

Santander -5

Mountcastle -6

Last year Santander and Hays were both at +1.    Mountcastle was at 0 in 17 starts, 23 games in LF.

Santander's defense was overrated by many on here the entire offseason.

The ankle is likely effecting him, no doubt about that but he's still not GG finalist worthy, like he was in the SSS of 2020.

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Santander's defense was overrated by many on here the entire offseason.

The ankle is likely effecting him, no doubt about that but he's still not GG finalist worthy, like he was in the SSS of 2020.

I probably agree with you.  I’d definitely say he’s let balls drop in this year that would have been outs last year, though.  He’s had a variety of nagging injuries. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I probably agree with you.  I’d definitely say he’s let balls drop in this year that would have been outs last year, though.  He’s had a variety of nagging injuries. 

But he's always got nagging injuries.  We can't go forward assuming he'll be healthy in the future.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Which is why I said to trade him in the offseason but hey, my crystal ball is just a blind look, so what do I know?

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wanted to trade him during the 2020 season.

I wanted to trade him before we acquired him.   When he was in the womb, in fact! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That's silly, we didn't have the rights to him then.

But I felt in my bones we would get them.   And that we should later trade him at peak value.   

I’m currently calling for a trade of Xlander Wobelisk at the 2048 trade deadline.    Remember I said that!

• Haha 1