Valaika DFA. Mateo replaces him

eddie83

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Please please please mean that Jahmai is coming up. 

Yeah I'm curious if they're giving a 26-man roster spot to Mateo. Seems more likely he'll be ticketed for AAA, but then they already have Gutierrez there. But I guess if Jones comes up there's another infield spot... we shall see. 

4 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Interestingly, Mateo was a top 100 prospect for a little while.  Seems he was the big piece acquired by Oakland in the Gray trade four years ago.  He's 26 now, put up solid numbers in AAA in 2019.  Worth a shot, especially over Valaika.

We do love us some former top 100 guys. I think it's likely Mateo gets DFA'd quickly himself. Ton of guys to add to the 40 this offseason. But certainly a talent upgrade over a guy like Gutierrez, who I expect could be DFA'd for Wells tomorrow. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I'm curious if they're giving a 26-man roster spot to Mateo. Seems more likely he'll be ticketed for AAA, but then they already have Gutierrez there. But I guess if Jones comes up there's another infield spot... we shall see. 

He's out of options and has to be kept on the ML roster. See story below. I guess the Orioles could try to pass him back through waivers, but seems like one of the other terrible teams would claim him. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/padres-designate-jorge-mateo-for-assignment.html

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

We do love us some former top 100 guys. I think it's likely Mateo gets DFA'd quickly himself. Ton of guys to add to the 40 this offseason. But certainly a talent upgrade over a guy like Gutierrez, who I expect could be DFA'd for Wells tomorrow. 

Mateo>> Gutierrez.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

He's out of options and has to be kept on the ML roster. See story below. I guess the Orioles could try to pass him back through waivers, but seems like one of the other terrible teams would claim him. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/padres-designate-jorge-mateo-for-assignment.html

Ok, right, thanks. I'm not seeing how he fits the active roster quite yet - feels like there's more moves coming. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

If Mateo's a 3B/OF guy, we're down a middle infielder on the 26-man without Valaika. If Jones comes up to fill that void, a position player would have to be cut. DFA Franco? Option McKenna or Stewart?

DFAing Franco is a very tempting option. 

• Upvote 4

From Roch's post:

Mateo was chosen twice for the All-Star Futures Game. He’s played all three outfield positions, third base, second base and shortstop, and is 6-for-6 in stolen base attempts.

So perhaps he's an option at 2B after all. If so, commence the Jahmai Jones hand-wringing. :)