Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

On 8/17/2021 at 11:52 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think this might have been posted in the thread already, but what about Chris Davis staring off into the distance while a strike is thrown down the middle of the plate. I don't know if it's medication related, but there's a problem when you're not focusing during an at bat. 

p7n5l3e1ps211.jpg

I'm just glad there isn't HD video of every minute of every day I'm at work.  I'm assuming that nearly 100% of OH posters have done the equivalent of staring off into space* when they're supposed to be intently listening to their boss or finishing that TPS report.

* Read: posting on OH

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

I don't get this, yeah he dropped off a cliff post 2016 season. But 2012 and 2014 weren't possible without him. The value of his contract is 14% less then the 2016 dollar rate. He did a lot for kids especially those with born with heart defects with time and donations. Stuff happens in baseball, get the yips or just lose the feel for it The fact he put money and time into the community should deserve more respect.

Fair POV but I have to take issue with the statement that 2014 wouldn’t have been possible without CD.   He hit .196 with a .704 OPS that year and missed the stretch run and the playoffs with his PED suspension.   He had very little to do with that team’s success.   

• Upvote 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:01 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

In other words, there was circumstantial evidence with many possible explanations but you choose to pick "checked out" because you like that one the best.

When your coaches throw you under the bus I’d say that’s more than circumstantial. You read it anyway you want. Davis failed the Orioles once rewarded with the lucrative contract. That much is a fact!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/20/2021 at 1:52 AM, Frobby said:

Fair POV but I have to take issue with the statement that 2014 wouldn’t have been possible without CD.   He hit .196 with a .704 OPS that year and missed the stretch run and the playoffs with his PED suspension.   He had very little to do with that team’s success.   

That's fine, I respect it. I just look at what he did in 2013 and adding Nelson Cruz that year (2014). Davis in front of him, allowed Nelson to have a hell of a season as who were you gonna pitch too? Davis still hit 26 HR and 70 some RBIs that year.

Line ups success (whole team going for a win) is based on can you force the other team to pitch to you and avoid one off pitching changes. Davis previous season played a role in  Cruz's season that year. Can't pitch around both of them (Davis lead the team with 60 that year).

4 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

That's fine, I respect it. I just look at what he did in 2013 and adding Nelson Cruz that year (2014). Davis in front of him, allowed Nelson to have a hell of a season as who were you gonna pitch too? Davis still hit 26 HR and 70 some RBIs that year.

Line ups success (whole team going for a win) is based on can you force the other team to pitch to you and avoid one off pitching changes. Davis previous season played a role in  Cruz's season that year. Can't pitch around both of them (Davis lead the team with 60 that year).

I understand your point, but Cruz had done just fine the last 7 years since leaving Baltimore, so I don’t think Davis had that much to do with it.

10 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

So, .196, 26 HR and 70 some RBI is a good season.  I was really disappointed in Mancini's eventual numbers, but he looks like an MVP compared to those numbers (I realize Mancini wasn't just dealing w/ baseball).