Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

1 hour ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

As nice as it is that the story of his continued failure won't be hashed up every year, the knowledge that he is being paid for another 16 years is simply mind boggling to me.  It's unimaginable how anyone in the organization could have thought this was a good contract.  When are the guys who orchestrated the contract going to retire?  The lady is still warming up in the wings until 2037.

giphy.gif

It doesn’t bother me at all that some of his compensation is deferred for a long time.   The only thing that bothers me is the overall total and the number of years the contract covered.  

Just now, Frobby said:

It doesn’t bother me at all that some of his compensation is deferred for a long time.   The only thing that bothers me is the overall total and the number of years the contract covered.  

It doesn't bother me either.  From a finance point it makes perfect sense.  However,  I think this point is going to continue to percolate emotionally in Baltimore and could erode some of Chris' legacy.  If the Orioles return to success, I think it becomes easier to "forgive".  There is no metric where the deal was good.  The overall total and number of years were bad and will forever be judged so.  The deferred comp was not dumb at all, but will linger and serve as a psychological reminder for a long time.  

Once Boston won a WS, Bill Buckner's ground ball through the legs was forgiven.  IF the Orioles remain a laughingstock...Chris Davis is going to become the face of that annually.  Of course if the Orioles win the WS in 2025 he will be celebrated wildly going in to the Orioles HOF the next year.  

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

To me twice failing PED tests is a huge red flag.

I also remember reading about how other players on the 2014 team had to have a talk with Davis.  (obviously I'm not privy to the nature of the talk).

Combine that with the known aging curve of players similar to Davis and it was a bad risk from the onset.

I agree with you fully.

I think one of the most painful things, even immediately at the time, was that the moment the team committed to paying Chris Davis over $20M a season, their percentage chance of extending Machado when the time came dropped to about .01%.  And to me, Manny was the safer bet, even with his mid-decade knee issues.

Just now, LA2 said:

Cool--that's who I thought, but wanted to confirm. Parents' LP's are always a rich treasure trove.

No, not always.

On my father's side I had 80's radio country and on my mother's side I had Rod Stewart and Bob Seger.

Not a treasure trove.

I did get a '45 of Alley Oop from mom.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, not always.

On my father's side I had 80's radio country and on my mother's side I had Rod Stewart and Bob Seger.

Not a treasure trove.

I did get a '45 of Alley Oop from mom.

OK, but it still remains possible to use their likes as a path for interpreting or reenvisioning their inner life (your parents', not the entertainers').

6 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Cool--that's who I thought, but wanted to confirm. Parents' LP's are always a rich treasure trove.

Mine certainly were! Introduced me to Aretha, Elvis, The Supremes, Waylon and Willie and the boys, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Roger Miller ? , '50 Musicals (That's trouble with a capital T and that rhymes with P and that stands for POOL! ? ) . SO many great artists I can't remember them all.

• Upvote 1