Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He didn't have an active TUE for Adderall.

That is the relevant point.  Not that he previously did.

He knowingly took a banned substance, got caught and continued to use it.

That is not someone I'm going to throw a ton of guaranteed money at.

Not to belabor this but Roch repeated Davis' stance on the subject the other day:

Davis was diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and received therapeutic-use exemptions to take Adderall while he played for the Rangers, so it perplexed and frustrated the team that his application with the Orioles was turned down - and also that he continued to take it. He switched the following year to Vyvanse, a different form of stimulant medication that lasts longer in the system.

“I understand that was a mistake I may never stop paying for in the eyes of some people, not going through the steps to get reapproved for those couple of years,” he said. “I understand that. But the medication that I take doesn’t make me a great baseball player. The entire reason I started taking this was because life away from baseball was just kind of spiraling out of control and I had never really explored any avenues as far as being diagnosed.

.... But my whole life, I had been able to go out and play baseball with no problem because it was almost like an escape. It was almost a place where I felt so in my skin that I didn’t have to worry about forgetting to do something earlier that day. So, the medication gets, in my opinion, a little too much power in some people’s eyes. And, yeah, it’s the same thing I’ve been taking for years. It’s the same thing, it’s made by the same guy. It’s just under a different name.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/08/how-zimmermanns-return-impacts-rotation-and-roster.html

Davis never really gives a reason why he didn't get the TUE with Vyvanse if Adderall was now banned.

9 hours ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Okay, so none.  Got it. 

Whatever 

He was called out by a coach because he lied about doing workout with him.

and that just a small part of it.

His lack of muscle compared to earlier in his career tells me he stopped lifting. Are there other contributing factors ? Maybe he’s a vegetarian and it’s not getting enough protein, stopping taking whatever growth product that he used to earn the contract, and convinced himself that he could play without the ADHD medicine that resulted in him losing the exemption it happened.

We can agree to disagree… they’d probably be easier to see without the orange colored shades ?

The bottom line is the Davis contract resulted in big losses for the Orioles. It prevented them from offsets big contract to Manny and they got nothing in the way of value from Chris.

Im find it appalling that people would try to defend Davis. His performance dropped off immediately and in year 2 fell off the cliff.

3 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Whatever 

He was called out by a coach because he lied about doing workout with him.

and that just a small part of it.

His lack of muscle compared to earlier in his career tells me he stopped lifting. Are there other contributing factors ? Maybe he’s a vegetarian and it’s not getting enough protein, stopping taking whatever growth product that he used to earn the contract, and convinced himself that he could play without the ADHD medicine that resulted in him losing the exemption it happened.

We can agree to disagree… they’d probably be easier to see without the orange colored shades ?

I think this might have been posted in the thread already, but what about Chris Davis staring off into the distance while a strike is thrown down the middle of the plate. I don't know if it's medication related, but there's a problem when you're not focusing during an at bat. 

p7n5l3e1ps211.jpg

59 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think this might have been posted in the thread already, but what about Chris Davis staring off into the distance while a strike is thrown down the middle of the plate. I don't know if it's medication related, but there's a problem when you're not focusing during an at bat. 

p7n5l3e1ps211.jpg

Exactly, he decided he didn’t need the medication and could do without it. That caused him not to keep up on the criteria to keep the exemption. Apparently he didn’t get the same results from the alternative medication. It’s my understanding that similar medicines don’t always offer the same result. Apparently in the case of vyvanse. 

The mix of the drug is quite different and explains why one might not be as effective as the other. Interesting that they use Adderall to also treat binge eating and Vyvanse for narcolepsy? 

https://americanaddictioncenters.org/adderall/vs-vyvanse

Honestly..  That picture is a perfect example. But, with ADHD he could’ve been looking straight at the ball and still not have seen it. 

23 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

p7n5l3e1ps211.jpg

The mileage folks have gotten from this one photo of one pitch out of thousands and thousands never ceases to amaze me.    OK, it seems crazy that he was looking away like that.   Is there more than one example of that?   Do we have any idea of whether something specific happened that distracted him?    Not saying it’s good or excusable, but at the end of the day it’s a one-pitch event.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The mileage folks have gotten from this one photo of one pitch out of thousands and thousands never ceases to amaze me.    OK, it seems crazy that he was looking away like that.   Is there more than one example of that?   Do we have any idea of whether something specific happened that distracted him?    Not saying it’s good or excusable, but at the end of the day it’s a one-pitch event.  

I agree using this one photo as proof of Davis' issues at the plate is unfair, but the one constant with Davis the past few seasons is him not even attempting to swing at a strike throw right down the middle of the plate. It became a meme because it happened so often. 

Something happened to Davis to completely break him as a hitter and his pitch recognition, but I don't really care now because it's over and he's retired. Maybe in several years there will an in-depth investigative piece written about the last third of Davis' career. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:38 AM, osravensfan78 said:

Best news I’ve gotten…..in 3 years! 

I don't get this, yeah he dropped off a cliff post 2016 season. But 2012 and 2014 weren't possible without him. The value of his contract is 14% less then the 2016 dollar rate. He did a lot for kids especially those with born with heart defects with time and donations. Stuff happens in baseball, get the yips or just lose the feel for it The fact he put money and time into the community should deserve more respect.

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:52 AM, MurphDogg said:

He is still collecting checks bi-weekly. It would seem odd to retire without a payout, especially mid-season, but who knows.

Guessing it Medical Retirement and that its to protect him for tax purposes. I am sure both side and insurance company covering liability (like Albert Belle) said do it this way.

4 hours ago, BradyBunch said:

Guessing it Medical Retirement and that its to protect him for tax purposes. I am sure both side and insurance company covering liability (like Albert Belle) said do it this way.

I think it's highly unlikely that insurance is paying for any of this.  I don't think we have any evidence that the Orioles even paid the very substantial amount it would have taken to insure the contract.