Field of Dreams game

Sports Guy

True story... I once broke up with a girl because she hated Field of Dreams.  I love the movie and wanted to share it with my girl friend at the time.  The end of the movie always puts a lump in my throat... "hey Dad, wanna have a catch" gets me every time. 

Anyway, I look over at her as the credits are rolling to get her reaction... she looks at me and says "Baseball players walking out of a corn field.  Michael that's the silliest thing I've ever seen."  My reply was swift and reflexive.  "Joanie, you have no soul.  I think we should see other people."  

And we did.  Man, dodged that bullet!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

True story... I once broke up with a girl because she hated Field of Dreams.  I love the movie and wanted to share it with my girl friend at the time.  The end of the movie always puts a lump in my throat... "hey Dad, wanna have a catch" gets me every time. 

I had a work colleague who took his son to see the movie and started crying during that scene.  As a gift, his son had a Field of Dreams poster mounted and inscribed it, “Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?”   My colleague had it hanging on the wall of his office.   His son went on to become a nationally known sports broadcaster.   

• Upvote 1

I wanted to watch the Field of Dreams game, but the local Fox affiliate has the rights to Philadelphia Eagles pre-season games and chose to pre-empt the baseball game for football.

I've seen pictures of the event in my newspaper, and the White Sox appear to be wearing black socks.

Shoeless Joe Jackson was a featured character in the movie "Field of Dreams."  I thought the players were supposed to be wearing uniforms from the time when Jackson played for the White Sox.  Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the White Sox of that era wore white socks.

Was anything said about why the White Sox wore black socks for this game?

16 hours ago, WillyM said:

I wanted to watch the Field of Dreams game, but the local Fox affiliate has the rights to Philadelphia Eagles pre-season games and chose to pre-empt the baseball game for football.

I've seen pictures of the event in my newspaper, and the White Sox appear to be wearing black socks.

Shoeless Joe Jackson was a featured character in the movie "Field of Dreams."  I thought the players were supposed to be wearing uniforms from the time when Jackson played for the White Sox.  Unless I'm greatly mistaken, the White Sox of that era wore white socks.

Was anything said about why the White Sox wore black socks for this game?

Too late now, but the same thing happened in Baltimore.   The local Baltimore Fox affiliate actually has the rights to the Washington football preseason games!   And they aired that instead of the FOD game.

But they aired it on one of their secondary digital channels that all stations have since TV went digital about 15? years ago.   WBFF TV 45 is the Fox affiliate in Baltimore.  If you are one of the few that gets your TV directly over the air via a digital antenna, you get Fox on 45-1, but there are 45-2, 45-3, etc that air other things, often "networks" like "MyTV" that air reruns of old TV s hows, etc.   Those channels are also usually on your local cable system but you don't know they are affiliated with the fox station because they just show up, for example for me, as "MyTV" on Channel 469 on Fios.

So I looked at my grid and found the Field of Dreams there even though Fox 45 (510 on FIOS) was airing the Redskins game.  (Full disclosure, being in Howard County I also get DC stations on my FIOS so I could also have watched on the DC fox station.   But I have a friend in Baltimore County who doesn't get DC stations on his cable and I recommended he check his grid for the game on an alternate channel and he found it).

Anyway, for future reference, if a national broadcast you want to watch is ever preempted by local programming on a network station, you should be able to find it on one of that station's subsidiary digital channels.    If you have digital antenna just go to the "-2", "-3", etc channels associated with the primary channel.  If you have cable, look around your programming grid, those channels are usually somewhere in your channel group, they are just not always easy to find and the association with the primary channel is often lost.   

On 8/16/2021 at 6:38 PM, Frobby said:

I had a work colleague who took his son to see the movie and started crying during that scene.  As a gift, his son had a Field of Dreams poster mounted and inscribed it, “Hey Dad, wanna have a catch?”   My colleague had it hanging on the wall of his office.   His son went on to become a nationally known sports broadcaster.   

I have an autographed picture of Dwier Brown who played John Kinsella in the movie that a friend got me for my birthday signed "Hey Mike, Wanna Have a Catch?"