.900 OPS hitters

OriolesMagic83

Most posters here would see a .900 OPS hitter as an ideal middle of the order hitter.  A surprising fact from last night's game replay was that the O's have only have had 3 seasons w/ a .900 OPS since 2010.  A Luke Scott season and 2 Chris Davis seasons.  Mullins is on track for the 4th .900 OPS season in 11 years.

• Upvote 1

Since 2010 there have been 189 player-seasons with an OPS of at least .900, qualifying for the batting title.  That includes 2020, when you only needed 192 PAs, and so far this year.  30 teams, so six per team.  The O's have four, plus Trey Mancini's 2019 at .899.

The O's have had losing records in seven of those 12 seasons.  So you'd expect them to be a little below average in most categories.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Since 2010 there have been 189 player-seasons with an OPS of at least .900, qualifying for the batting title.  That includes 2020, when you only needed 192 PAs, and so far this year.  30 teams, so six per team.  The O's have four, plus Trey Mancini's 2019 at .899.

The O's have had losing records in seven of those 12 seasons.  So you'd expect them to be a little below average in most categories.

They do play in a hitter-friendly park, though.  

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Most posters here would see a .900 OPS hitter as an ideal middle of the order hitter.  A surprising fact from last night's game replay was that the O's have only have had 3 seasons w/ a .900 OPS since 2010.  A Luke Scott season and 2 Chris Davis seasons.  Mullins is on track for the 4th .900 OPS season in 11 years.

I heard that too and was a bit surprised.  Cedric's at .936 now.  I think he does it.

5 minutes ago, kidrock said:

Luke Scott had a career .821 OPS.  That's really good.  Seems like overall health issues really killed him.  He played more than 131 games just once (148).

He had a bit of a strange career, including not getting called up until he was almost 27 years old.  But all he ever did was hit.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

On the individual players, i think it's interesting that Mike Trout himself has nine such seasons in that span. Miguel Cabrera had 6. Joey Votto had 7. 

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

There are only 14 players with an OPS of +.900 this season

And the fact that Mullins is doing it while playing excellent defense in CF, compared to the relatively one-dimensional sluggers of Davis and Scott, should put the excellence of his season in perspective.

Of course, his WAR numbers won't reflect it.  BWAR has him as having negative defensive value this year.  

Defensive "stats" are so terrific.

21 minutes ago, Pickles said:

He had a bit of a strange career, including not getting called up until he was almost 27 years old.  But all he ever did was hit.

He must have had a late start in college, and then spent all four years there.  Didn't make his pro debut until 24.  Rutschman played three years of college, then missed the COVID year, and he's still going to have 600+ PAs by the time he gets to the age Scott first appeared in the minors.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

And the fact that Mullins is doing it while playing excellent defense in CF, compared to the relatively one-dimensional sluggers of Davis and Scott, should put the excellence of his season in perspective.

Of course, his WAR numbers won't reflect it.  BWAR has him as having negative defensive value this year.  

Defensive "stats" are so terrific.

Statcast says Mullins is +8 in OAA.  rWAR (really DRS) says he's -4, but DRS isn't on the same level as OAA.  Eventually the Statcast data will be available and integrated into freely-available sites like bb-ref and Fangraphs.

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He must have had a late start in college, and then spent all four years there.  Didn't make his pro debut until 24.  Rutschman played three years of college, then missed the COVID year, and he's still going to have 600+ PAs by the time he gets to the age Scott first appeared in the minors.

Guy was in his age 27 season, and they left him in AAA for 100 games to put up a .900+ OPS.  That's after putting up a .900+ OPS in AA the year before.