The Marauding Delmarva Offense

Frobby

11 minutes ago, waroriole said:

To trade Mullins this off-season, someone would need to make an offer that values him as an .850 OPS hitter, with average CF defense. I doubt we get an offer like that. 

Agreed.  I think it’s unlikely we get an offer good enough to move him, as teams will want to see him do it again.

Otoh, if he does close the season well,  you might have someone enticed enough to do it.

In all likelihood, the best thing to do is bring him back and see what happens in 2022 with him, Cowser, etc…

The downside, of course, is that Mullins turns into a pumpkin again.  Just as there is also downside in dealing him Now because maybe he is a 4+ WAR CFer going forward.

2 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I've taken to watching each Delmarva game on MILB.  You're exactly right about the plate discipline approach which is the most striking thing.  Fun to watch each AB using the 15-second fast forward feature.

12 more walks tonight (Thursday) against pretty good Carolina team that threw 196 pitches (21.8 per IP).  They had 8 hits tonight but of 9 runs, only 4 were RBI.  It seems like whenever the opponents make a mistake there are runners on base (4 WP and a 2-run error with 2 outs tonight), because there are ALWAYS runners on base with this team.

Since the mass promotions, Delmarva has scored 121 runs in 126 offensive innings.  If anything, the OPS numbers above significantly understate how good this offense is, because they've hit relatively few HRs and their team OBP must be close to .400 since the promotions.

And BTW, Delmarva pitchers struck out 19 Carolina batters in this one as well. 

Nice write up Ken.

It will be very interesting to track all of these guys as they move up the ladder.  It appears that the team, as a whole(at least offensively), is just too good for that league.  

Delmarva has been an exciting to follow all season with the exception of the 3-4 weeks where Westburg, Gunnar, and Mundy, we’re all promoted, and before the new wave of promotions happened. 

They’ll be exciting to follow again next year. We’re likely to see some of the current lineup stay for more ABs to start, and the team should have a large Latin presence. We’re finally going to get to see some bonus babies up there. Then having the highest draft pull should fill them back up. Plus sprinkle in C Creed Willems. 

19 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

I've taken to watching each Delmarva game on MILB.  You're exactly right about the plate discipline approach which is the most striking thing.  Fun to watch each AB using the 15-second fast forward feature.

12 more walks tonight (Thursday) against pretty good Carolina team that threw 196 pitches (21.8 per IP).  They had 8 hits tonight but of 9 runs, only 4 were RBI.  It seems like whenever the opponents make a mistake there are runners on base (4 WP and a 2-run error with 2 outs tonight), because there are ALWAYS runners on base with this team.

Since the mass promotions, Delmarva has scored 121 runs in 126 offensive innings.  If anything, the OPS numbers above significantly understate how good this offense is, because they've hit relatively few HRs and their team OBP must be close to .400 since the promotions.

And BTW, Delmarva pitchers struck out 19 Carolina batters in this one as well. 

.401 team OBP in the 15 games since the call up (entering Fri night):

527 AB

154 H

.292 AVG

12 HBP

6 SF

.401 OBP

Edited by Filmstudy
  • Upvote 3

The Carolina Mudcats pitchers have thrown 810 pitches in the first 4 games of the series against Delmarva, 202.5 per game (22.5 per inning).

Let's hope these guys don't each find the level of pitching they can't hit at some point over the next couple of years.

Edited by Filmstudy
  • Upvote 1

Delmarva has another 18-burger on the board today against Carolina including 2 Grand Slams among 3 HRs by Billy Cook.  This team is immensely fun to watch.

Infielder Noah Campbell has come on to pitch the 9th inning vs the Shorebirds and is throwing some eephus pitches which are no where near the plate.

Edited by Filmstudy
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

Delmarva has another 18-burger on the board today against Carolina including 2 Grand Slams among 3 HRs by Billy Cook.  This team is immensely fun to watch.

Infielder Noah Campbell has come on to pitch the 9th inning vs the Shorebirds and is throwing some eephus pitches which are no where near the plate.

Make that 21 as Cowser hit his first hr, a 3run bomb. 

• Upvote 1

Oh and Pinto struck out 11 in 6 IP.  4 H, 1 BB and 1 ER (2 runs total)

Norby was 3-5 with a BB and 2 RBIs.  His OpS is at 970.

Cowser was 3-6 with a homer, double and 5 RBIs.  His OPS is 919.

Mayo 2-5 with a homer and a walk. OPS is 985.

Trimble back in the lineup but only went 1-5.  Played CF.

As Ken said, Cook was 4-5 with 3 homers, including 2 GS.

6 players had at least 2 hits and 4 had at least 3 hits.