Praise for Severino

wildcard

In the interest of fair play, I just went and checked the available free agents, and they are all old and either expensive or terrible.

I’m not sure who’s going to be designated or non-tendered between now and December, But I’m wondering if it’s possible we might find something meaningful for behind the plate in Japan or Korea or Mexico? Is it common for position players to successfully migrate over here? Yes I know… Ohtani, Ichiro, Kawasaki, a few others, so it’s not impossible or unheard of but it is rare. Do we have any boots on the ground over there looking?

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m not sure who’s going to be designated or non-tendered between now and December, But I’m wondering if it’s possible we might find something meaningful for behind the plate in Japan or Korea or Mexico? Is it common for position players to successfully migrate over here? Yes I know… Ohtani, Ichiro, Kawasaki, a few others, so it’s not impossible or unheard of but it is rare. Do we have any boots on the ground over there looking?

It worked in Major League. 
43c0a1bb-4b53-4af9-927d-a82020227b15_tex

Severino the batter is okish.  Severino the catcher is terrible, regardless of how a waiver wire guy is heaping praises upon him.  His framing sucks, let's way too many balls get past him,  etc etc.  I'll be extremely disappointed if he catches a single game for the Os next year. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Severino has 4 years of experience catching in the majors and his problem as a catcher is not calling a game. Its blocking pitches.  Which I think is because he gets  so beat up catching that it makes him not move well.  If he only catches 50ish games he should not be as hurt and move better.  Watching Severino move lately he has been doing pretty well.

He was not blocking pitches during the first weeks of the season,  way before any 'beat up' excuses would apply.  He's not too beat up to block pitches, he's just simply not good enough to do so.   He's a VERY poor catcher, in pretty much all aspects of the receiver position.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, forphase1 said:

He was not blocking pitches during the first weeks of the season,  way before any 'beat up' excuses would apply.  He's not too beat up to block pitches, he's just simply not good enough to do so.   He's a VERY poor catcher, in pretty much all aspects of the receiver position.

I certainly agree that he has been a poor receiver at times.  He also raises to adequate at times.   The question for me is can the O's find a better backup catcher than Severino?

If you think the O's can, name him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I certainly agree that he has been a poor receiver at times.  He also raises to adequate at times.   The question for me is can the O's find a better backup catcher than Severino?

If you think the O's can, name him.

Can they find a slightly worse one for a quarter of the money?

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As a counterpoint I'd like to post the pitch sequence to Sanchez in the second.

1. 91.8 4 Seam Fastball
  2. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball
  3. 92.3 4 Seam Fastball
  4. 91.9 4 Seam Fastball
  5. 91.4 4 Seam Fastball
  6. 92.6 4 Seam Fastball
  7. 93.0 4 Seam Fastball
  8. 93.2 4 Seam Fastball
  9. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball

Garceau and Ben were on this in the broadcast too, connecting it also to Hyde's pre-game show praise of reliever Jorge Lopez, where Hyde characterized the HR he gave up the other day as a pitch sequencing flaw - three straight changeups.

The broadcast cut together these 9 fastballs, and Ben pointed out he wasn't able to hit the inside corner like he wanted on most of them, which reminded me of Eck's comment a couple weeks back about Orioles pitchers inability to make pitches.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I don't know.  No one has come up with one yet.

Literally almost every catcher we have in the minor leagues is better at the receiver part of being a catcher than Severino.  Wynns is better at it also.   Granted not all could hit mlb pitching like Severino, not that he's great or anything.   But I'm so tired of seeing his play behind the plate I'd take a no hit catcher who can properly play the position over him at this point.  Finding a better defensive catcher wouldn't be difficult at all, wouldn't even have to go outside of the organization to do so. 

13 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Literally almost every catcher we have in the minor leagues is better at the receiver part of being a catcher than Severino.  Wynns is better at it also.   Granted not all could hit mlb pitching like Severino, not that he's great or anything.   But I'm so tired of seeing his play behind the plate I'd take a no hit catcher who can properly play the position over him at this point.  Finding a better defensive catcher wouldn't be difficult at all, wouldn't even have to go outside of the organization to do so. 

While I understand your point of view, I am tired on watching players including catchers come to the plate and hit like pitchers.   Rallies stop because the O's do not have player that can get a hit on any consistent basis.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I understand your point of view, I am tired on watching players including catchers come to the plate and hit like pitchers.   Rallies stop because the O's do not have player that can get a hit on any consistent basis.

We should try to develop a C who can do that. Anyone in the minors who can hit and catch?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well of course the BEST solution is a catcher who is at least equal to Severino with the bat and superior to him behind the plate, which is about anyone.  But if the scenario we are painting is AR being the starting catcher for 2/3rd of the games, then I'm fine with a no hit, solid defense catcher for the remaining 1/3rd.  I certainly agree that the rally killing at bats is tough to watch, which frankly described Severino for the first 1/2 of the season, though clearly his bat has gotten better here in the 2nd half.  But few are the teams that have good hitters in all positions.  I'm ok if our backup catcher is light with the bat...it's easier to get quality hitters at other positions to make up the deficient in the lineup at the backup catcher position.  

21 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

As a counterpoint I'd like to post the pitch sequence to Sanchez in the second.

1. 91.8 4 Seam Fastball
  2. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball
  3. 92.3 4 Seam Fastball
  4. 91.9 4 Seam Fastball
  5. 91.4 4 Seam Fastball
  6. 92.6 4 Seam Fastball
  7. 93.0 4 Seam Fastball
  8. 93.2 4 Seam Fastball
  9. 93.1 4 Seam Fastball

Counterpoint to what?