Multiple moves today (9/7)

Legend_Of_Joey

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

We heard Harvey had a setback and then he pitched in a game in Norfolk and gave up 4 runs in an inning.  Obviously he wasn’t right.

That may be true, but today's move has absolutely nothing to do with that.   It is just a procedural move.   Harvey was on the 10 day IL, now he is on the 60, to free up a 40 man spot for Barreda.   But he has been on the IL for 70 days so he could still be activated any day, just as he could have been before today's paper move.   The only difference is he is off the 40, but the Orioles have shown that when they need a 40 man spot they have no qualms about DFAing someone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And Manny Barreda is making his MLB debut and will be 33 years old in October. It's been a long road for him to get to the major leagues. 

That is quite a Bbref stats page he has. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=barred001man

Hope he gets a shot to actually pitch. 

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I guess Hunter Harvey will be carried on the 40 man roster this offseason, but will he ever pitch meaningful innings for the Orioles?  

I think he has a good chance of being DFA’d. I doubt they can work a trade for a guy who is injured 80% of the time. I don’t care how talented you are, if you cannot stay healthy, what does it matter? We need the roster spot for guys who can actually contribute to the team. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I think he has a good chance of being DFA’d. I doubt they can work a trade for a guy who is injured 80% of the time. I don’t care how talented you are, if you cannot stay healthy, what does it matter? We need the roster spot for guys who can actually contribute to the team. 

I'm not sure how healthy he's been but the only time he was truly impressive was when he first came up in 2019.   You could argue that he's never been as good since then even when he was able to get on the field.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

Earlier this year I never would have thought it a possibility. But now, I think there is a very real chance Harvey might not get protected on the 40 man if it's between him and player that can stay healthy.

Chris Davis retiring might be what saves Harvey from being DFA-ed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Who is Manny Bareda? What’s his claim to fame? Why did we want him instead of Knight?

1 hour ago, Pushmonkey said:

My thought too. Who the heck is this guy?!??

Former 12th round pick from the Yankees, spent the season in Norfolk after signing as a MiLB free agent from Mexico. Stats have been, well, mediocre in AAA this season. 35 innings, 34 strike outs, 10 walks. 4.08 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP.

However, he has never been in the MLB. This could be his "gold watch," like Mickey Jannis. With that being said, who is excited to see Ryan Ripken during the final week?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Former 12th round pick from the Yankees, spent the season in Norfolk after signing as a MiLB free agent from Mexico. Stats have been, well, mediocre in AAA this season. 35 innings, 34 strike outs, 10 walks. 4.08 ERA and a 1.42 WHIP.

However, he has never been in the MLB. This could be his "gold watch," like Mickey Jannis. With that being said, who is excited to see Ryan Ripken during the final week?

I don’t have a problem with bringing him up, I like the idea of non-prospects being given an opportunity, I was just wondering if he had anything worth writing home about. I’d like to see Spencer Watkins again frankly, but sadly I think that’s not going to happen

15 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

That is quite a Bbref stats page he has. https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=barred001man

Hope he gets a shot to actually pitch. 

Good story for Barreda. It’s what September is for. Harvey might be done. It seems like it would make sense to just 60 day Lopez and give someone else a cup of coffee.