Mullins Trade Scenarios

OrangeTurtle

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

He must be looking at a list from last year.  I see a few CF who are FA this year but not really anyone I’d call a premium player.   (Edit: Starling Marte is the top of this market, he’s certainly premium).  So, that does suggest this may be a good time to see what’s out there in the trade market.   

Thanks Frobby. Yes, wrong year. So Marte is the only FA CF. Even better. 

Also, what about the teams that are having luxury tax concerns as possibilities?  I know that means the usual like LAD, NYY, and Bos?  It’s also looking like Philly, Mets, Padres, and Cards, will be looking to get under. 

Maybe that helps with the Cards trade scenario. The Padres have a loaded system too. 

• 1 month later...

Any new viewpoints after reading the top prospects list so far?  My opinion is that our arms don’t match up with the level of our bats. That’s obvious. Is trading Mullins the only way to acquire more high end arms that will be here in 2023?  

Can Hays handle playing CF, and stay healthy while playing it?  Even if we do hang onto Mancini/Santander, and they have huge 1st halfs, I just don’t see them bringing back high end rotation arms. More so secondary piece types. 

Assuming health, who else are we combining with Means, Grod, and Hall for OD 2023?  

I don’t see us spending any money this offseason, nor do I think we should. I think we’re destined for a top 5 pick regardless of even best expectations of performance. We could go into 2023 with almost a this year’s Delmarva style roster change. It would be nice to do that with two additional high end SP prospects. 

It’s a huge sacrifice/risk, but the pitching cupboard is pretty bare behind the top guys. Gotta do something. 

BP put out their Marlins list recently and pegged their arms:

1-MEYER, 3-EURY PEREZ, 4-EDWARD CABRERA, 5-SIXTO, 6-FULTON, 8-EDER

I believe Heyman reported the other day they are willing to listen on one of their 3+ guys Alcantara/Pablo Lopez/Elieser Hernandez.   Those nine guys make quite a Supporting Cast for their 23-year-olds Trevor Rogers and Jesus Luzardo.

I think any team looking for a 2022 CF upgrade that also has money for good players looks to Starling, Buxton and even Laureano perhaps before Mullins.   I hope the Orioles mean to ascend at least as fast as the Marlins, but we might lag them by a year or two.

I hope and expect we're at least listening to offers. Miami has a lot of good young pitching. I read a staffer at MLB Trade Rumors suggesting Sixto Sanchez/Max Meyer for Mullins. Hays staying healthy is obviously a concern. If he's misses time, do you want Ryan McKenna playing every day? We have a lot of OF depth (though not at the upper levels), and if Stowers is ready and Hays can stay healthy, we'd be balancing out some org needs and selling high for a change. All depends on what we can get. 

7 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I hope and expect we're at least listening to offers. Miami has a lot of good young pitching. I read a staffer at MLB Trade Rumors suggesting Sixto Sanchez/Max Meyer for Mullins. Hays staying healthy is obviously a concern. If he's misses time, do you want Ryan McKenna playing every day? We have a lot of OF depth (though not at the upper levels), and if Stowers is ready and Hays can stay healthy, we'd be balancing out some org needs and selling high for a change. All depends on what we can get. 

Wasn't that Sanchez and Meyer for Mullins and Adley?

If the Marlins are willing to pay that much why wouldn't they target Reynolds?

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Wasn't that Sanchez and Meyer for Mullins and Adley?

If the Marlins are willing to pay that much why wouldn't they target Reynolds?

From Mark Polishuk: Mullins would cost the Marlins two of Meyer/Cabrera/Sixto, in my view.  And more.

Wishing doesn't make it so, but I wish that was a real offer.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll go ahead and disagree with Mr Polishuk.

Unless of course Sixto's medicals look worse than expected.

Yeah, I don't see it either. I would have personally stocked their vending machine for three years to get that deal done!  But if they're open to dealing Meyer in a Mullins trade, I think I'd have to work really hard to find a combination of players that works. 

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Yeah, I don't see it either. I would have personally stocked their vending machine for three years to get that deal done!  But if they're open to dealing Meyer in a Mullins trade, I think I'd have to work really hard to find a combination of players that works. 

Because our system appears to be so deep, I think we can sweeten the pot to make a Mullns trade get us quite a haul of top pitching prospects.  But I could be wrong.     

• Upvote 1

Are we better off with a 2023 of,

Option A:

OF: Hays, Mullins, Stowers/Santander/Neustrom/Mckenna 

SP: Means, Grod, Hall, 2 of what we have

or 

Option B:

OF: Stowers, Hays, Santander/Neustrom/McKenna 

SP: Means, Grod, Hall, Sanchez, Meyer

If Mullins and Sulser can land Sanchez and Meyer, then we should be all over that. 

It all comes down to if Hays can be healthy. We can make up for Mullins lost offense with COF then. Not to get too far ahead but that’s competing in 2023,

BP: Wells, Scott, Fry, Tate, Bautista, ???

LU:

1. Hays R CF

2. Mountcastle R CF

3. AR S C

4. Santander S DH

5. Stowers LF L

6. Westburg SS R

7. Gunnar 3B L

8. Urias R 2B

9. Neustrom/McKenna 

• Upvote 1

If you were to spend a lot of money on a FA, generally speaking, would you be more comfortable signing a starting pitcher or an outfielder?

I ask because it'd be the latter for me and I think spending needs to be considered something that's happening for sure in the next 2-3 years. Given that, I'm trading guys like Mullins at peak value for arms and buying replacement position players on the FA market, to the extent we don't have them in-house.

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Option A:

or 

Option B:

If Mullins and Sulser can land Sanchez and Meyer, then we should be all over that. 

It all comes down to if Hays can be healthy. We can make up for Mullins lost offense with COF then. Not to get too far ahead but that’s competing in 2023,

LU:

1. Hays R CF

2. Mountcastle R CF

3. AR S C

4. Santander S DH

5. Stowers LF L

6. Westburg SS R

7. Gunnar 3B L

8. Urias R 2B

9. Neustrom/McKenna 

I like where your heads at and I’m begrudgingly on board the trade Mullins train…but I’ve got to point out that option B could easily be a 100 loss team.

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Option A:

or 

Option B:

LU:

1. Hays R CF

2. Mountcastle R CF

3. AR S C

4. Santander S DH

5. Stowers LF L

6. Westburg SS R

7. Gunnar 3B L

8. Urias R 2B

9. Neustrom/McKenna 

I guess you have Mountcastle playing CF with Hayes so Hayes doesn't get hurt?!