Tim Dierkes: Orioles should trade John Means

waynebug

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Solid point, the O's should totally make personnel decisions based on the desires of the players.

LeBron picks his coach, right?    Isn't the Orioles best success for Elijah Greene's peak years if the franchise guys are as good as we hope and Elias gets them to take ~$100M of Angelos's money over the longer haul.

Maybe we're just forever at $60M payroll and need to prioritize that Gunnar 10-year extension.

3 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

LeBron picks his coach, right?    Isn't the Orioles best success for Elijah Greene's peak years if the franchise guys are as good as we hope and Elias gets them to take ~$100M of Angelos's money over the longer haul.

Maybe we're just forever at $60M payroll and need to prioritize that Gunnar 10-year extension.

Players are not in a situation in which they know best how to construct a roster.

If they were you could save some money and just name Adley player/GM.

30 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

With the window being set as 2022-2028 as the team control years for the franchise caliber guys, strip mining the above four guys for the pipeline flirts with making the first 3/7ths of those years tough on them if the Cowser/Kjerstad/Gunnar type guys don't come fast.

So we’re the worst team in the MLB, but our window starts in 2022?  

I know this sucks to hear, and it’s a hard pill to swallow, but our actual window doesn’t start till 2024. Also, 2022 is going to be very similar to this season. I mean heck, we could improve by 10 games and still lose 100. 2023 is where things will start to be fun, but we’ll still be coming off a 100 loss season. It’s just hard to make big leaps overnight. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I know this sucks to hear, and it’s a hard pill to swallow, but our actual window doesn’t start till 2024. Also, 2022 is going to be very similar to this season. I mean heck, we could improve by 10 games and still lose 100. 2023 is where things will start to be fun, but we’ll still be coming off a 100 loss season. It’s just hard to make big leaps overnight. 

Is it?

Seems to me that it isn't all that uncommon for a team to make a pretty large jump in the standings from one season to the next.

I'm not suggesting that the 2022 team has any realistic chance to contend.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Good example, but I don’t know how relevant it is. You know there’s several different factors with the Giants than us. You could derail the whole thread with stuff like “they’ve been there before”, “vet leadership”, “past success”, “managing”, “buster posey”, “NL rules”, “bigger ballparks”

My point is we always complained during the 16 years of losing, about the O’s just trying to win 70 games.  Why make moves, or not make moves to win, to win 70 games?  Just my opinion.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What do the Red Sox do that we don’t?  Have luxury cap payrolls every year. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good example, but I don’t know how relevant it is. You know there’s several different factors with the Giants than us. You could derail the whole thread with stuff like “they’ve been there before”, “vet leadership”, “past success”, “managing”, “buster posey”, “NL rules”, “bigger ballparks”

My point is we always complained during the 16 years of losing, about the O’s just trying to win 70 games.  Why make moves, or not make moves to win, to win 70 games?  Just my opinion.

I'm just giving recent examples of teams in hyper competitive divisions having large jumps in on the field results.

It can be done, it has been done.

Not as competitive a division but the Tigers are having a pretty nice season.

I'm not in favor of making the goal 70 wins.

I'm also not in favor of making the goal 110 losses, which is what I think happened this year.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m not resigned to losing 100+ next year.  90+, yes.   But hopefully we make a few moves, some of our young players improve and we get Rutschman, Rodriguez and maybe others making contributions.   I’m not saying it’s sure to play out that way, but I’m not going to assume we’re a 100-loss team before seeing what’s on the field next spring.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

To clarify, when I say the chosen window is 2022-2028 I'm just meaning Elias' choice with respect to Rutschman/Rodriguez, not how good or bad a team he builds around those cornerstones.

I'm penciling in a guess new CBA won't disrupt Adley through 2028 type plans on the club's part, though Orioles/Rutschman would perhaps be the biggest piece of collateral damage if the players can gain any kind of age/earlier free agency.

I suppose Adley Rutschman could extend his life mastery of the game of baseball with a full year in Norfolk though, or a lockout could wipe out the whole season, so I guess 2023-2029 can't be ruled out yet.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So I was told some info yesterday about ownership.  Without going into details, if it is true what I heard (and I don’t doubt do that it was), they will be cheaping out again this offseason and we could see these types of players traded because of money.

Didn't you also say that they weren't exactly thrilled with the on the field product this season?

Do they realize that the two are in some way connected?