How the 2021 Playoff Teams Were Built

Porky

Anywhere from 5-14 players amongst the home grown category.  And sure, home grown players were traded to get guys but overall, it goes to show you how many teams need and get a lot of their contending teams from outside their organization.

People on here saying it’s too early to make moves or you can’t trade guys yet…it’s going to happen at some point, so do it when you can and let things sort themselves out.

On 10/5/2021 at 1:36 PM, Moose Milligan said:

And to think the franchise had spent all this time not working the international markets.  No wonder we've been so terrible for so long.  Terrible at drafting, no international market presence. 

OMG THE ASTROS MODEL!!!!!!1111 

And Elias has put that in place.

16 hours ago, SilverRocket said:

So basically get pitchers who have a really great pitch and tell them to aim down the middle?

Stuff >>> Command if you have Glasnow's.   If you have Alex Wells'....

Exaggerating some, but the duality of Glasnow to me is he is Cy Contender and Insult to Pitching all at once.   Maybe he aims High and Low, but that's about it.    Otherwise there's just the drone like, "It throws the ball off the hill".    Possibly he is a rare enough talent where the Stuff is simply too good to be Commanded, so yeah...down the middle big guy.

I think that was kind of what I recall hearing in a Palmer anecdote about Davey Johnson and a struggling pitcher.   Just let your inability to put the ball where you want it take it to the corner....you couldn't throw it down the middle if you tried.

Some of The Rays Way I think is working for buy-in from their guys (even as they use them as assets to maximize!); its cool to see him cheering the team on and repping.

Whereas on the other side of that coin in HOU, https://www.freep.com/story/sports/mlb/tigers/2021/06/27/detroit-tigers-justin-verlander-return-houston-astros/5364316001/

I've only seen a couple minutes of the first two Dusty-LaRussa games, so may have missed them, but haven't noticed Verlander in their dugout yet.   Though a google of IS JUSTIN VERLANDER WITH ASTROS finds a YouTube video posted by a Houston radio station that some of the players vetoed him throwing out the Game 1 first pitch, so I guess there's that.