Luis Hernandez

Moose Milligan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look to package him? He's a baseball non-entity, theres no value there.

Just enjoy whatever production you might get from him while he's required, because it won't last for long, but hopefully neither will his ML stint.

He has played very respectably since being called up, but its not going to last.

I really don't know much about him, but he's done a pretty good job since getting called up. He's fielded well and hit better than I thought he would.

Whats he project to? Should we be keeping him around or looking to package him?

He just stole 2nd...

IMO, Fahey should go down before Hernandez does.

You know how we've had this year-long discussion about whether or not there's any rational excuse for having Bynum on the team? Hernandez is about 75% the player Bynum is. He's pretty indistinguishable from Fahey, but may actually be a worse hitter. A .574 OPS in AA is a pretty damning indictment of a man's talent, unless maybe he's 18.

Hernandez would be a marginally acceptable player if teams still kept eight- or nine-man pitching staffs and had room for 2-3 platoon players, a pinch runner, and a couple defensive subs. On a modern team with a 12-man staff and an offensive offense a shortstop with a .500 OPS is a serious liability. And given enough time Hernandez' OPS will be in the .500-.550 range.

Better fielder but Bynum is a much better overall player.

Bynum is more talented. I wouldn't say he's a better overall baseball player. Hernandez at least is outstanding in one area (fielding), average to slightly above in another (running), and downright bad at hitting. Bynum, who is four years older and therefore at an age where he's not likely to continue improving in any significant way, is not outstanding in any aspect of the game. On the bases he has great speed but poor instincts and an unacceptable CS%, in the field he has holes in his glove and an erratic arm no matter where you put him, and at the plate he's better than Hernandez but still well below average. For a utility player who's not going to and shouldn't get many at-bats, I'd rather have the guy who you can count on in the field when somebody is hurt, ejected, needs a day off, or the manager gets the guts to put in a defensive replacement for Tejada in a close game. A bench player needs to be reliable more than spectacular. Any ball hit to Bynum is an adventure. That's not what you want from your utility man.

I started up a thread a while back about Luis, and said that he just "looks" like a ball player. He seems to have a quiet confidence about himself. He reminds me (in his demeanor only) of Robby Alomar.

I like the guy.

Billy Beane called. Said to tell you to meet him in a dark alley in Southwest Baltimore at 2:00 AM tomorrow.

I started up a thread a while back about Luis, and said that he just "looks" like a ball player. He seems to have a quiet confidence about himself. He reminds me (in his demeanor only) of Robby Alomar.

I like the guy.

I agree. I like him a lot too. He's an excellent fielder and he's really impressed with his hitting. I think I heard someone say he's only 23. Is that correct?

I really don't know much about him, but he's done a pretty good job since getting called up. He's fielded well and hit better than I thought he would.

Whats he project to? Should we be keeping him around or looking to package him?

He just stole 2nd...

He's the best fielding SS on the O's that I've seen since Bordick. Not that that means anything.

Archived