Luis Hernandez

Moose Milligan

I just don't understand why people think that:

A. Tejada is some kind of liability in the field, or even that Tejada isn't a plus defender

B. We have some kind of problem with run prevention(4.52 RA, 4th in AL), or giving up too many hits(8.31, 1st in AL)

C. Hernandez is Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel and Mark Belanger and Adam Everrett all rolled into one.

Completely agree. I haven't seen anything special out of Hernandez.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, I agree 100%. In fact, I'm in favor of moving Tejada, Mora, and Roberts to other positions (or trading them for whatever we can get) so that we can play Hernandez, Fahey, and Gomez full time at third, short, and second. I think that level of defensive prowess would probably save 8-10 runs a game, if not more.

Now you are the one exgaggerating. We could afford the weaker bat at short with the greater defense brought to the table. As I have posted before, Tejada stays in the lineup so the only offense we lose is the difference between Peyton, Gibbons, or possibly Huff versus Hernandez, who I think is the best defensive shortstop on the roster with Fahey and Gomez a close tie for second.

Really? I know it is an extreme small sample, but Hernandez looks to have average range with a plus arm.

I think he has more range than Miggy does...Doesn't have his arm.

I think, defensively, he saves more runs than Miggy would but i don't think it is by that much and obviously not enough to justify the defensive difference.

I just don't understand why people think that:

A. Tejada is some kind of liability in the field, or even that Tejada isn't a plus defender

B. We have some kind of problem with run prevention(4.52 RA, 4th in AL), or giving up too many hits(8.31, 1st in AL; .713 Defensive Efficiency, 3rd in AL)

C. Hernandez is Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel and Mark Belanger and Adam Everrett all rolled into one.

It would be quite a feat for a team to be near the top in run prevention, hit prevention, and defensive efficiency while playing a terrible defender at the most important defensive position on the field. I'd like to hear an explanation for that.

Now you are the one exgaggerating. We could afford the weaker bat at short with the greater defense brought to the table. As I have posted before, Tejada stays in the lineup so the only offense we lose is the difference between Peyton, Gibbons, or possibly Huff versus Hernandez, who I think is the best defensive shortstop on the roster with Fahey and Gomez a close tie for second.

Isn't our staff fully of Flyball Pitchers?

That's retarded. Flat out ridonkolously stupid. This team has lost an incredible amount of one run games. They need OFFENSE. You're actively and knowing weakening the offense!

It would be quite a feat for a team to be near the top in run prevention, hit prevention, and defensive efficiency while playing a terrible defender at the most important defensive position on the field. I'd like to hear an explanation for that.

Well, the team wasn't that good defensively until July 23rd... when Tejada went on the DL. All of that has changed since than.

;)

Now what we could do is move Mora to the OF when he gets back, shift Tejada to 3B and keep Hernandez at SS. Tejada would have two months to learn the postion and get comfortable with it and then we could deal him to teams that need an upgrade at 3B or SS in the offseason...

That's retarded. Flat out ridonkolously stupid. This team has lost an incredible amount of one run games. They need OFFENSE. You're actively and knowing weakening the offense!

Yeah in my estimation it is ridiculously stupid to overlook the number of one run games that may have been lost by Tejada's failure to make a great or even routine turn of a double play. How many one run loses does good defense prevent? This is like the chicken versus egg argument and you are saying it is stupid to say the egg came first!

Yeah in my estimation it is ridiculously stupid to overlook the number of one run games that may have been lost by Tejada's failure to make a great or even routine turn of a double play. How many one run loses does good defense prevent? This is like the chicken versus egg argument and you are saying it is stupid to say the egg came first!

Would those games even be one run games without Tejada's offense?

They're currently among the major league leaders in defensive efficiency, and were in the same neighborhood before Tejada went down. They're having their best defensive season in years.

Yeah but who gives a crap about scoring runs when you can just have awesome defenders! We'll win every game 1-0!!

This is absolutely nothing like the chicken and the egg argument. That's apples and oranges. Not to mention spilt milk.

Tejada's defense is decent to above average. Couple that with his bat, and that makes him, on this team an INVALUABLE ASSET.

Would you have replaced, in his prime, Ripken with Ryan Minor? If you would have, well...

Archived