Robert Neustrom AAA right/left splits???

wildcard

13 hours ago, wildcard said:

So, what do you make of it?    

Neustrom at Norfolk: .787 vs. RHP , .697 vs. LHP; 42% of his PA were against LHP.

Neustrom at Bowie: .898 vs. RHP, .629 vs. LHP, 25% of his PA were vs. LHP.

Breaking it down a little further, Neustrom showed very little power vs. LHP at Bowie (.228/.313/.316), but did better in the power department at Norfolk vs. LHP (.235/.299/.398).   

Putting this in the context of MLB, this year the average LHB had a .769 OPS vs. RHP, but only .653 vs. LHP.   So, I wouldn't say Neustrom is way out of the mainstream for LHB vs. LHP batting.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, what do you make of it?    

Neustrom at Norfolk: .787 vs. RHP , .697 vs. LHP; 42% of his PA were against LHP.

Neustrom at Bowie: .898 vs. RHP, .629 vs. LHP, 25% of his PA were vs. LHP.

Breaking it down a little further, Neustrom showed very little power vs. LHP at Bowie (.228/.313/.316), but did better in the power department at Norfolk vs. LHP (.235/.299/.398).   

Putting this in the context of MLB, this year the average LHB had a .769 OPS vs. RHP, but only .653 vs. LHP.   So, I wouldn't say Neustrom is way out of the mainstream for LHB vs. LHP batting.

I'd say that Neustrom will begin 2022 at AAA trying to improve those numbers both vs lefties and righties.   Right now he looks like a platoon player but he is not finished developing yet.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

I'd say that Neustrom will begin 2022 at AAA trying to improve those numbers both vs lefties and righties.   Right now he looks like a platoon player but he is not finished developing yet.

I agree he will start 2022 in Norfolk.  I wouldn’t be too quick to assume that Neustrom would be used as a platoon player, even if he continues to have a 100+ point differential in his R/L OPS.   Lots of LHB who are everyday players have that kind of differential.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree he will start 2022 in Norfolk.  I wouldn’t be too quick to assume that Neustrom would be used as a platoon player, even if he continues to have a 100+ point differential in his R/L OPS.   Lots of LHB who are everyday players have that kind of differential.   

Yep..because their teams aren’t smart.

Teams are finally starting to understand that allowing most pitchers to go through a lineup 3-4 times isn’t smart.  

I think the idea of platoons and things like that will be next(I know they do it now but not likely to the extend that they should), although the idea of roster flexibility certainly hurts that but the 26th player is helpful.  

15 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep..because their teams aren’t smart.

Teams are finally starting to understand that allowing most pitchers to go through a lineup 3-4 times isn’t smart.  

I think the idea of platoons and things like that will be next(I know they do it now but not likely to the extend that they should), although the idea of roster flexibility certainly hurts that but the 26th player is helpful.  

It’s tough to have a lot of platoon guys with today’s short benches.   Plus, with teams changing pitchers more often, the odds of seeing a same-sided pitcher in several at bats are low.   

I was noticing that Tampa, who nobody considers a dumb team, had four different LHB this year with 100+ PA vs. LHP and an OPS under .680 against them.   

Meadows 189 PA, .563 OPS

Lowe 188 PA, .662 OPS

Wendle 134 PA, .603 OPS

Kiermeier 122 PA, .676 OPS

And their other LH batters are even worse!

• Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s tough to have a lot of platoon guys with today’s short benches.   Plus, with teams changing pitchers more often, the odds of seeing a same-sided pitcher in several at bats are low.   

I was noticing that Tampa, who nobody considers a dumb team, had four different LHB this year with 100+ PA vs. LHP and an OPS under .680 against them.   

Meadows 189 PA, .563 OPS

Lowe 188 PA, .662 OPS

Wendle 134 PA, .603 OPS

Yeah, but it's Tampa Bay... what do they know about squeezing the most out of players...

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Meadows 189 PA, .563 OPS

Lowe 188 PA, .662 OPS

Wendle 134 PA, .603 OPS

Sure..the roster issue is the problem (as I pointed out) but I think there are ways around that, at least to carry a minimum of one extra guy for a platoon.

But as I said, I don’t think this has been looked at enough in the sport and I think it could down the road.  The idea of an opener would have been laughed out 5-10 years ago.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Meadows 189 PA, .563 OPS

Lowe 188 PA, .662 OPS

Wendle 134 PA, .603 OPS

Yeah but three of those guys play damn near GG defense. 

Right now there isn’t a spot to play Neustrom, so playing in AAA for a bit isn’t the worst thing. I do think his power will play up in OPACY, but so does everyone’s. I’m not ready to give up on Hays as a platoon player, but you could rest him vs a tough RHP. 

If we don’t keep Mancini, I think you could see a McKenna/Neustrom platoon in LF/RF with Santander DHing.