Tyler Nevin: an option at 3B in 2022?

interloper

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/can-nevin-power-his-way-into-orioles-plans.html

“The biggest thing for Nevin was he was trying out new positions throughout the year, so I think that took a toll on his offensive production in the middle of the year for a little bit,” said Tides hitting coach Tim Gibbons.

But when I tell you he came in in the beginning of the year at third base with question marks, he got rid of all those question marks by the end of the year. and really dominated third base and became more than capable of playing third. He also did a heck of a job in the corner outfield. So I think once he kind of got his defense underneath him of trying new positions and starting to excel at them, that’s when in September the OPS went back up and he started taking back off, culminating in taking an inside pitch and mashing it over the left field wall.

“Nevin did some good things. It was a big year for Nevin in terms of defensive development, so it was really nice to see him finish the season strong in September on the offensive side because it’s all there for him with the bat. I think worrying about different positions might have taken a toll on his offense, but once he really got settled in at third, which again, I can’t say enough about the strides he made at third base, I think he kind of settled in mentally and then the bat came back to life.”

Hadn't really heard much about this, and nice to hear a Tides coach really talk him up over there, even if it's just the hitting coach. Would be enormous for the Orioles if Nevin a) starts to hit and b) can play a reasonably good 3B while doing so. I'm skeptical of both of those for now, but he's a guy on the 40-man blocked at 1B, DH, and COF, so 3B is kind of his only ticket barring injuries. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/11/can-nevin-power-his-way-into-orioles-plans.html

Hadn't really heard much about this, and nice to hear a Tides coach really talk him up over there, even if it's just the hitting coach. Would be enormous for the Orioles if Nevin a) starts to hit and b) can play a reasonably good 3B while doing so. I'm skeptical of both of those for now, but he's a guy on the 40-man blocked at 1B, DH, and COF, so 3B is kind of his only ticket barring injuries. 

Isn’t his defense dreadful? I’ve heard the dreadful Defense line about several guys So not sure it’s him, but I really like somebody who’s above average with the glove out there?

Absent some serious physical development, I doubt he'd get claimed and kept in the Rule V draft.

Nevin's highest OPS month was actually in June (.821). His September OPS was .794. 

So my read on this kid is if the defense adjustments are real, some physical growth might make that bat playable. Never say never, but I'd have to see it to believe it.

https://www.milb.com/player/tyler-nevin-663527?stats=splits-r-hitting-mlb&year=2021

I don't see him as a long term piece, but sure...why not? We will start to see the likes of Adley, Rodriguez, Stowers, and maybe Westburg next year. The top-end youngsters are on their way and will likely push out someone like Nevin in the long run, but I don't hate the idea of giving him a look for a bit. I'd prefer to sign a top free agent to fill one of the infield spots, but that's not going to happen. So, why not see what Nevin, Jones, Urias, and Mateo can do in the three open spots? 

At worst, I don't see Nevin being much worse than Stewart. At least he provides a bit more defensive flexibility. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think he gets protected, but it's not implausible that he'd get drafted. As a sidebar opinion, from a purely macro perspective, if we have the top minor league system (as some experts say we do), that means that we're more likely to have better talent that we're unable to protect than the teams we'd be drafting from. Of course, we have the top pick and 29 organizations to choose from, so probability would suggest that exposing a prospect so that we can use slot #40 to grab a prospect from any organization would be a good tradeoff. However, I don't think that logic applies to using two picks in the Rule V this year. I think we'll find that for some years to come, the Rule V will be more of a liability than an asset for the Orioles. We haven't really experienced that phenomenon in the past. 

EDIT - self-correcting myself.....he's already on the 40 man and probably won't stay there

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I don't think he gets protected, but it's not implausible that he'd get drafted. As a sidebar opinion, from a purely macro perspective, if we have the top minor league system (as some experts say we do), that means that we're more likely to have better talent that we're unable to protect than the teams we'd be drafting from. Of course, we have the top pick and 29 organizations to choose from, so probability would suggest that exposing a prospect so that we can use slot #40 to grab a prospect from any organization would be a good tradeoff. However, I don't think that logic applies to using two picks in the Rule V this year. I think we'll find that for some years to come, the Rule V will be more of a liability than an asset for the Orioles. We haven't really experienced that phenomenon in the past. 

I agree, but we still have the opportunity to poach. I don’t know who that guy is the Red Sox got, but I’d really like to know why the bejeebers we didn’t pick him, and I think the White Sox got a valuable rule five guy as well. Overall it was actually pretty good year for rule five players, it seems

50 minutes ago, interloper said:

Don't buy the fluff. Nevin is not a real prospect and if he was effective at 3B he would have gotten a lot more looks there and would have been playing in Baltimore this year. He can be DFA'd tomorrow and he will pass through waivers and be outrighted to AAA. While he's not a butcher over there at 3B, he's stiff and will bring little range to the position. He doesn't have the game power to overset a below average hit skill. 

If you are looking for a place holder, I'd prefer Gutierrez due his defensive abilities. 

BTW, it's also telling that Nevin played exclusively in LF in his short looks with the Orioles. If you are looking for below average defense and a .630-.660 OPS, Nevin is your guy at the hot corner next year. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Don't buy the fluff. Nevin is not a real prospect and if he was effective at 3B he would have gotten a lot more looks there and would have been playing in Baltimore this year. He can be DFA'd tomorrow and he will pass through waivers and be outrighted to AAA. While he's not a butcher over there at 3B, he's stiff and will bring little range to the position. He doesn't have the game power to overset a below average hit skill. 

If you are looking for a place holder, I'd prefer Gutierrez due his defensive abilities. 

BTW, it's also telling that Nevin played exclusively in LF in his short looks with the Orioles. If you are looking for below average defense and a .630-.660 OPS, Nevin is your guy at the hot corner next year. 

When I made my comment about “dreadful Defense,”I was Thinking that I would just as soon have Gutierrez there. He can run lickety-split, and he can glove with the best of them. And that’s not nothing.

We need to hit, and no mistake, but we need to defend as well, so that’s important.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Lol well okey dokey then. Nothing to see here folks!

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Seems like Bannon and Dorrian are more likely, not that I see either happening. 

I think Bannon gets DFA'd.   Dorrian has a shot to be protect but its not certain.   I think they keep Nevin on the roster for now but he may not make it through the winter on the roster if the O's add veterans.  If Elias needs to move him he will try to trade him for a low minor leaguer with some potential.  JMO.