The Biggest Fallacy: We Need a 1B or DH

Anonymous

Okay, maybe not the biggest fallacy -- I've seen quite a few on these boards lately. But it sure ranks up there.

Here are the legitimate internal 1B and DH candidates we have for 2009: Huff, Salazar, Scott, Montanez, Reimold. Contrast that with the obvious needs we have for starting pitching, more starting pitching, and starting SS. It would also be great if we could sign a combo backup SS-CF, a backup catcher on a minor league contract (to compete with Quiroz, with the loser hopefully stashed at Norfolk), and a AAAA CF on a minor league contract (to cover the contingency of an Adam Jones injury). 1B and DH don't come close to any of these as a need, with the caveat that it would be nice to get another LH bat into the 1B/3B/LF/DH mix (i.e., adding one to Scott and Huff). But that's a slot that Scott Moore can hopefully make a run for if he shows up strong in Spring training; it's not a high enough priority to shell out the kinds of bucks needed to ink an Adam Dunn type.

Two points that I'll note for those who want to refute this argument:

(1) While I've been on record as opposed to our pursuit of Tex, I'm not attempting to use this particular argument in that context. I concede fully the logic of desiring Tex as a long-term solution rather than for 2009. It's the price tag I oppose, not the substance of the long-term need he would surely fill.

(2) For those who want to pursue a high-ceiling minor league 1B as a potential long-term solution, I'm with you on that one. But that's true of a lot of team needs (and I would say SS and 3B even more). This is something we should always be on the look-out for; but there's no criticality in finding such a guy today as opposed to a year from now. When you find a young and undervalued gem at almost any position, of course you pull the trigger.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, maybe not the biggest fallacy -- I've seen quite a few on these boards lately. But it sure ranks up there.

Here are the legitimate internal 1B and DH candidates we have for 2009: Huff, Salazar, Scott, Montanez, Reimold. Contrast that with the obvious needs we have for starting pitching, more starting pitching, and starting SS. It would also be great if we could sign a combo backup SS-CF, a backup catcher on a minor league contract (to compete with Quiroz, with the loser hopefully stashed at Norfolk), and a AAAA CF on a minor league contract (to cover the contingency of an Adam Jones injury). 1B and DH don't come close to any of these as a need, with the caveat that it would be nice to get another LH bat into the 1B/3B/LH/DH mix (i.e., adding one to Scott and Huff). But that's a slot that Scott Moore can hopefully make a run for if he shows up strong in Spring training; it's not a high enough priority to shell out the kinds of bucks needed to ink an Adam Dunn type.

Two points that I'll note for those who want to refute this argument:

(1) While I've been on record as opposed to our pursuit of Tex, I'm not attempting to use this particular argument in that context. I concede fully the logic of desiring Tex as a long-term solution rather than for 2009. It's the price tag I oppose, not the substance of the long-term need he would surely fill.

(2) For those who want to pursue a high-ceiling minor league 1B as a potential long-term solution, I'm with you on that one. But that's true of a lot of team needs (and I would say SS and 3B even more). This is something we should always be on the look-out for; but there's no criticality in finding such a guy today as opposed to a year from now. When you find a young and undervalued gem at almost any position, of course you pull the trigger.

I totally agree with your take on this but am most certain we are in the minoirty here on the OH. Then again, the majority here apparently seem to want Chris Ray to be the closer over Sherrill this season. So what can I say?:confused:

You're right we don't 'need" a firstbaseman this year because we have candidates that can do a good job. But, we do need Mark Teixeira for so many other reasons. The fact that he would be an upgrade at first base and in the middle of our line-up is icing on the cake.

For the first time in a decade attendance at Oriole games has fallen below 2 million. If the Yankees and Red Sox fans hadn't shown up attendance would have even been worse. Teixeira's presence on the Orioles roster gives them credibility to their fans and to future top level draftees and free agents.

This is a watershed off season for the Orioles. Signing Teixeira will accelerate the turnaround MacPhail has begun. Can the Orioles turn it around without Tex? Of course, but it will take much longer.

I totally agree with your take on this but am most certain we are in the minoirty here on the OH. Then again, the majority here apparently seem to want Chris Ray to be the closer over Sherrill this season. So what can I say?:confused:

Sean Casey is a three time all star. Should he be our first baseman?

How about Shea Hillenbrand????

Sean Casey is a three time all star. Should he be our first baseman?

How about Shea Hillenbrand????

What is wrong with Huff? Also, maybe Scott could be converted to a first baseman and Montanez could take over LF. IMO there is way, way WAY to much emphasis on signing Texeiera when it matters nada until the starting pitching is essentially completely upgraded at every spot in the rotation. I would much prefer saving the Tex money on a future ace aquisition, or maybe a couple of number two starters. A big bat like Tex is not all that scarce of a commodity unlike starting pitching. Why blow the wad on one player? I think that would be a very unwise way to utilize limited resources.

What is wrong with Huff? Also, maybe Scott could be converted to a first baseman and Montanez could take over LF.

The odds that Huff can reliably put up numbers like he did last year are not very good. I mean, he might but he is not a long-term solution we lack a long-term solution in the power-hitting DH and first-base department.

Montanez is an interesting theory, but that is all he is right now, a theory. And Montanez himself has said that his D leaves a lot to be desired.

Ideally, in a perfect world, the Orioles sign Tex, trade Mora, move Huff to third, trade Olson for Pie, out Pie in LF and Scott becomes a DH 70-80% of the time.

Huff is not a long-term option and there isn't much behind him.

The odds that Huff can reliably put up numbers like he did last year are not very good. I mean, he might but he is not a long-term solution we lack a long-term solution in the power-hitting DH and first-base department.

Montanez is an interesting theory, but that is all he is right now, a theory. And Montanez himself has said that his D leaves a lot to be desired.

Ideally, in a perfect world, the Orioles sign Tex, trade Mora, move Huff to third, trade Olson for Pie, out Pie in LF and Scott becomes a DH 70-80% of the time.

Huff is not a long-term option and there isn't much behind him.

I agree with you that Huff is not a long term option, but I wasn't talking about long term. I was talking about next season where unless they do something drastic to upgrade the starting pitching signing three Texeiras wouldn't elevate this team into competiveness.

A big bat like Tex is not all that scarce of a commodity ..

Very few guys have but up stats like Tex over the last 8-10 years. You're also getting GG defense. This guy immediately becomes your cornerstone and with Markakis, Jones, and Weiters is a heck of a foundation. We need to continue to develop our pitching because aside from Burnett I woudnt throw money at any of them.

Very few guys have but up stats like Tex over the last 8-10 years. You're also getting GG defense. This guy immediately becomes your cornerstone and with Markakis, Jones, and Weiters is a heck of a foundation. We need to continue to develop our pitching because aside from Burnett I woudnt throw money at any of them.

Actually, they would be better off getting as a cornerstone a young stud SS. Again, in my estimation a power hitting firstbaseman is not that hard to attain. As far as Gold Glove defense, that is nice but first base is not a critical defensive position. In fact, it is the least critical of any infield position. I certainly could live without breaking the bank on any one player including Texeira. That money may be better spent over the next few years in attaining pitching, specifically of the starting type.

His numbers weren't that much different than Texeira's. No reason why he cannot replicate them either.

Right...except he hasn't done it in 4 years...is 31 and not likely to become Ponce De Leon anytime soon...

The only thing we have to be optimistic about w/ Huff...is it's a contract year...

Here's another fallacy:

Aubrey Huff is the answer

With regards to Anonymous' specific reference to 2009 I would like to note that Huff stands a very good chance of being better than what most teams have. Again, the thread author is exclusively questioning the need to add to this position NEXT year. Within that window he is correct.

Right...except he hasn't done it in 4 years...is 31 and not likely to become Ponce De Leon anytime soon...

The only thing we have to be optimistic about w/ Huff...is it's a contract year...

31 is far from old. In fact it is more like one of most player's prime playing years.

Archived