2021 Orioles #16 Prospect - Carter Baumler - RHP

Tony-OH

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baumler was also ranked 16 last year.  Even though he didn’t play at all this year, he jumped Baumann, Kremer, Lowther, Diaz, Vavra and Haskin (plus Akin graduated off the list).   Just a case of those players disappointing in 2021 I guess.

Just a case of watching so many of our swing man type prospects not being successful at the MLB level, so higher upside guys are winning out. 

While Baumler didn’t play, he sounds like his recovery has had no setbacks. That’s a big success rather than at this point last year we had just realized he needed TJS. 

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Baumler was also ranked 16 last year.  Even though he didn’t play at all this year, he jumped Baumann, Kremer, Lowther, Diaz, Vavra and Haskin (plus Akin graduated off the list).   Just a case of those players disappointing in 2021 I guess.

He didn't jump Lowther who is ahead of him at #15. 

Baumler was a guy who I thought the Orioles did a great job in getting into the fold and despite the TJ surgery, he's a guy with a four pitch mix upside and a chance to throw in the mid-90s. Obviously he's an extreme risk who has only thrown one game as a senior, but he's a guy similar to Mayo who could really be a steal when it's all said and done. 

Next year, I expect him to be assigned to Delmarva where it would not surprise me if they limit him to 3-inning stints early on with a tight pitch limits. Hopefully he can get in 80 innings or so and then we'll have a better idea of what the Orioles have in him.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

He didn't jump Lowther who is ahead of him at #15. 

Yeah, I’d caught that and corrected it just as you were posting this.   

I’m relatively high on Baumler and don’t have an issue with this placement.   I just think it says a lot about some of our higher-ranked pitchers from 2020 that they actually fell behind a guy who didn’t pitch this year.   It was a disappointing year for a lot of our AA/AAA pitchers. 

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I’d caught that and corrected it just as you were posting this.   

I’m relatively high on Baumler and don’t have an issue with this placement.   I just think it says a lot about some of our higher-ranked pitchers from 2020 that they actually fell behind a guy who didn’t pitch this year.   It was a disappointing year for a lot of our AA/AAA pitchers. 

It wasn't a great year for pitching in the organization as a whole. Only Rom and Pinto really stood out as guys who took steps forward outside of Rodriguez and Hall. I did like some things I saw from Bradish at times and then there's Felix Bautista who is suddenly throwing 100 MPH. Kevin Smith was hugely disappointing in AAA. Borderline guys like Vespi, Sedlock and Bishop did well at times.

Wasn't overly impressed with most of the arms acquired in the trades outside of Pinto and Bradish.

Brandon Young was impressive though as a 1st year guy.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I see a comment like that and I'm just...how in the world can that be accurate and him still be there in the fifth round?

Signablility and lack of teams seeing him pitch because of COVID. Some teams also didn't have the background to even know what he wanted to sign because of COVID. 

Most teams just figured he was going to TCU. The Orioles must've knew his number and pulled the trigger when he was available. 

To give an idea of how athletic Greinke is, he's won 6 GG's and 2 Silver Sluggers.  If I remember right, he was used as a pinch-hitter in one of this year's WS's games - and got a hit - sharply to the opposite field.  He had 8 XBH's in 2019, 3 steals in 2018.  Oh, and he can pitch.