Chris Holt discusses offseason training to increase velocity

Frobby

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

How about a program teaching command?

That subject had already been covered to a degree in a prior article relating to the same interview.

“For a lot of guys, it’s delivery efficiency, and for some guys, it’s body control. There is the physical component and sometimes there is a mental component to it also,” Holt explained. “The willingness and the capability, if you want to call it that, to attack the zone, to attack your best quality locations. So when it comes to developing command, identifying what defines command for this pitcher is the first step. For pitchers that throw four-seam fastballs and vertical breaking balls, command is more north and south. And for a Brenan Hanifee(another O’s minor league pitcher), command is more east and west, and so defining what that means and then approaching it from a training standpoint is the first step.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/chris-holt-with-insights-on-two-new-40-man-roster-pitchers.html

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That subject had already been covered to a degree in a prior article relating to the same interview.

“For a lot of guys, it’s delivery efficiency, and for some guys, it’s body control. There is the physical component and sometimes there is a mental component to it also,” Holt explained. “The willingness and the capability, if you want to call it that, to attack the zone, to attack your best quality locations. So when it comes to developing command, identifying what defines command for this pitcher is the first step. For pitchers that throw four-seam fastballs and vertical breaking balls, command is more north and south. And for a Brenan Hanifee(another O’s minor league pitcher), command is more east and west, and so defining what that means and then approaching it from a training standpoint is the first step.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/chris-holt-with-insights-on-two-new-40-man-roster-pitchers.html

What Holt is clearly lacking in his program to help pitchers develop control, is the wisdom and experience that comes from decades of internet posting.

• Haha 1

I'm just surprised the Orioles don't have their own Driveline type of program for their pitchers. Seems strange to hear Holt say that minor leaguers have to come up with their own programs or have to go to Driveline or some other facility. Seems like the organization should have these facilities and programs and be able to monitor all of their pitchers.  

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'm just surprised the Orioles don't have their own Driveline type of program for their pitchers. Seems strange to hear Holt say that minor leaguers have to come up with their own programs or have to go to Driveline or so other facility. Seems like the organization should have these facilities and programs and be able to monitor all of their pitchers.  

Might be good to get them away from the organization and get some fresh eyes on these guys.  It worked well for a guy like Peek last offseason.  Helped Means in the past.  Just to name a few.

To be honest, I don’t fully trust Elias and his team to develop pitching quite yet.  The results are certainly not great at the Ml level and the MiL level has been mixed at best.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Might be good to get them away from the organization and get some fresh eyes on these guys.  It worked well for a guy like Peek last offseason.  Helped Means in the past.  Just to name a few.

To be honest, I don’t fully trust Elias and his team to develop pitching quite yet.  The results are certainly not great at the Ml level and the MiL level has been mixed at best.

I felt pretty good about the MiL developmental staff at the end of the 2019 season.   This year, not so much.   Of course, not drafting any pitchers in the early rounds hasn’t helped.   Holt’s first year as major league pitching coach also didn’t go well, especially the transition of the younger pitchers, but we’ll hope for improvement in 2022.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm just surprised the Orioles don't have their own Driveline type of program for their pitchers. Seems strange to hear Holt say that minor leaguers have to come up with their own programs or have to go to Driveline or some other facility. Seems like the organization should have these facilities and programs and be able to monitor all of their pitchers.  

I think they have the ability, but not the logistics. I'm not sure if it's minor league rules or what, but they give guys time off and certainly don't oversee all aspects of throwing programs, etc. Even if they get data and reports, they're definitely not supervising. 

It could be as simple as they cannot require people to live in proximity of their facilities, or refuse to pay or whatever. 

6 minutes ago, Philip said:

Came here to say the same thing. Does Tanner Scott need more velocity? Ummmmmmmno.

If you have idiot coaches, you’re going to have unsuccessful players.

I'm sure the coaches are aware of Scott's control issues. Working on velocity does not mean they are not working on command. That is probably something the coach has little influence on anyway.