Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t agree with those saying Odor makes the team worse.   The problem is, he doesn’t make it better.  

Sadly, you are greatly mistaken.

Time.
If we do nothing, we waste time, if we waste time we get worse. A nothing move involves wasted energy and resources. However minimal, resources that are not directed in a positive way are wasted.

We’ve spent 15 pages discussing a move that should never have happened. That’s a waste of time, my brother.

I’m a conservative in the sense that I see the wisdom in doing nothing rather than doing something useless or stupid.
And wasting this effort on a player who IS NOT AS GOOD AS SOMEONE WE ALREADY HAVE is both useless and stupid. He offers no positives except some vague hope that he can get better.

Even the positive voices are mainly saying “well it can’t hurt”

It is literally a waste of time, which is bad.

But worse is that there is no logic in the move. There is literally no reason to give a major league spot to someone with this resume. Why was it done? The MLB Rumors folks have no special axe to grind. They are making valid points for which Mike has no rebuttal.

Even though we can DFA him when we wish, it still represents a waste of every important thing the team needs.

8 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Has the hyperbole flown in two directions here?

I see it flowing in only one direction.

I have literally seen no one claiming that Odor is going to be good.  Or even make the roster.

Exactly. All I’m saying is that Odor is a stop gap player, making the league min, at age 27, and at an area of need. 

The only hyperbole is that “we’re done” for the offseason, and that this is the “only type” of move Elias is going to make. 

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m a conservative in the sense that I see the wisdom in doing nothing rather than doing something useless or stupid.

And wasting this effort on a player who IS NOT AS GOOD AS SOMEONE WE ALREADY HAVE is both useless and stupid. He offers no positives except some vague hope that he can get better.

What's the impact of that wasted effort?  What productive thing would the assistant council to the assistant GM have been doing with his hour of time that he was wasting filling in the blanks of a standard minimum-salary player contract? 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Exactly. All I’m saying is that Odor is a stop gap player, making the league min, at age 27, and at an area of need. 

The only hyperbole is that “we’re done” for the offseason, and that this is the “only type” of move Elias is going to make. 

How is it hyperbole to say that when Elias’ history as a GM suggests that is the type of move he makes?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well, historically, this is the only type of FA move he's made.  

The past can't predict the future, but it can give a decent indicator of what's to happen.  I'd love it if Elias actually did something different but I'm only judging on what he's done so far.  

49 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Again, it’s not poor just because you signed Odor.  As has been said, you can just cut him and it doesn’t matter, ala Sanchez.

But it’s what the move represents.  The Os are telling you that they aren’t making real improvements on the left side of the IF.  He is a place holder to compete for at bats and maybe platoon with a guy like Gutierrez.  They aren’t really trying to get better.  They still don’t care about winning.

I mean, as low cost as this move is, you can still argue it’s an overpay. He still may not live up to this contract. 

Who do you think they should have signed for the left side of the infield? The Orioles have two top prospects that are 3B prospects in Mayo and Henderson, one legitimate SS prospect in Westburg (maybe Ortiz), and three 2B prospects in Norby, Vavra and Westburg if we have a better option at SS.

You keep acting like one, the Orioles are ready to sign or trade for impact talent, and two, that talent is on the market and available, this offseason. 

• Thanks 1

Nothing burger signing. Hopefully Urias has a strong year and keeps Odor on the bench. I dont think Odor's good enough to be anything but a month or two stopgap. He is another LH, which Elias has shown through his drafts he craves. But still. not alot of upside and has bad optics to the fanbase. 

Ok, I've caught up on this entire thread and have a few thoughts.

Before I start, I understand the frustrations with not winning nor does it look like the Orioles are going to get better with this move, but there are a lot of things at play. One, the Orioles are not going from a 110 loss team to a contender in one one offseason regardless of improvements by current players. 2023 is not about competing per se, but I do believe this will be the first year where getting better is a goal. 

Let's focus on Odor though.

When this first was announced I scratched my head. But why?

I went to Savant to try and solve what the Orioles might see. I did see a guy who hit the ball harder last year (3.1 MPH better on EV) with an above average barrel percentage and EV. But still, his expected numbers were all well below average. So why?

I kept looking and then I found it. Though there is no deal signed or even close, Mafred did mention the potential of eliminating shifts in 2022. Lo and behind, Odar is a much better hitters when there are no shits. Last year he had a .405wOBA with no shifts vs .283 with shifts. This matches his career numbers. Basically this was guy, like Davis who was hurt by shifts. Now will this make him rebound to his glory days, doubtful, but he could be improved if this happens with the new CBA.

The other thing that makes me shrug now is that his deal is for the major league minimum. He could be cut in spring training and no one would bat an eye. As for being on the 40-man, who cares? Bannon, Nevin and Mattson are still on there as well and can be removed at any time.

If Matteo doesn't recover, Maybe Urias has to play more SS. With no one ready from the farm to play 2B, SS or 3B, Odor now gives the team some depth at 2B and perhaps 3B. Who knows, maybe he'll be tried in the outfield and become Ryan Flaherty?

I don't see this move as being awful now since it's for the major league minimum and he can be cut before the season is out if he doesn't fit. 

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who do you think they should have signed for the left side of the infield? The Orioles have two top prospects that are 3B prospects in Mayo and Henderson, one legitimate SS prospect in Westburg (maybe Ortiz), and three 2B prospects in Norby, Vavra and Westburg if we have a better option at SS.

You keep acting like one, the Orioles are ready to sign or trade for impact talent, and two, that talent is on the market and available, this offseason. 

I think they should trade for DeJong, if he is available.  

For third?  I think going after Brian Anderson is one way to go.  These guys are 1-3 year options.  They don’t block anyone now and it allows those guys time to develop, if they ever do.  

Vastly improves the defense, brings better OBP and moves Mateo to the super UTI role he should be in.

Much more upside than Odor or Galvis or anyone like that.  

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

What version of Twitter are you using?

Probably following the wrong people…or those people are following the wrong people and I see what they say and retweet.  

Generally speaking though, if Elias does it, many of them think it’s a good move.