O’s sign Jordan Lyles

LookinUp

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What if you could sign next year’s Matt Harvey, but pay him $7 million? Well we’ve found an answer to a question I didn’t expect to get asked. 

Why but spend a little bit more per AAV and sign a pitcher who might be good like Steven Matz. 

Because we wanted a guy who would agree to a 1 yr deal who isn't super old or super injury prone, but still a veteran who can chew some innings. In today's game I guess that's worth $7 mil and honestly I believe that.

Just now, Aristotelian said:

I like this even less than Gallardo. What an awful signing. Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Seriously did Elias lose a bet? I’m not a fan of no spending, but don’t burn money just to sign a guy who will pitch at a level of an AAAA pitcher. 

I think Elias is counting on Lyles to match last year’s number and be an innings eater. I really hope this isn’t the big pitcher acquisition this offseason. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Seriously did Elias lose a bet? I’m not a fan of no spending, but don’t burn money just to sign a guy who will pitch at a level of an AAAA pitcher. 

I think Elias is counting on Lyles to match last year’s number and be an innings eater. I really hope this isn’t the big pitcher acquisition this offseason. 

I don't think there was ever going to be a "big" pitcher signing. We just need reliable bodies to help eat innings at a better clip than Harvey or Lopez. This is that guy. A guy Hyde can trust to be take the hill along with Means and a bunch of rookies.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Because we wanted a guy who would agree to a 1 yr deal who isn't super old or super injury prone, but still a veteran who can chew some innings. In today's game I guess that's worth $7 mil and honestly I believe that.

Nice work if you can get it. And Lyles gave up 38 home runs last season. I think he has a chance at giving up 50 home runs pitching at OPACY in the AL East. 

From MLBTR:

"Lyles, 31, posted a 5.15 ERA, 19 K%, 7.3 BB%, and 37.6% groundball rate in 180 innings for the Rangers this year. There wasn’t much to like about Lyles’ season other than his taking the ball 30 times, which is a big need for an Orioles rotation with no reliable members after John Means. After a decent 2019 season for the Pirates and Brewers, the Rangers gave Lyles a two-year, $16MM contract. The righty struggled throughout his time in Texas.

Given that lack of success, Lyles’ contract is a bit higher than you might expect. Perhaps that’s the cost of luring a pitcher to one of the game’s worst teams. Lyles received more than Rich Hill or Dylan Bundy ($5MM), the same as Michael Wacha, and only $1MM less than Corey Kluber."

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/orioles-to-sign-jordan-lyles.html

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

If this is what you’re going to get for your $7 million why not just keep your $7 million and pick up random replacement guys

We could have probably had SP Steven Brault, SP Chad Kuhl, and 3B Johan Camargo for around $7 million combined, and would have almost certainly gotten a lot more value for that $7 million than Jordan Lyles will provide for his $7 million.

What an utterly baffling waste of money.

3 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

We could have probably had SP Steven Brault, SP Chad Kuhl, and 3B Johan Camargo for around $7 million combined, and would have almost certainly gotten a lot more value for that $7 million than Jordan Lyles will provide for his $7 million.

What an utterly baffling waste of money.

Clearly that's what it took to lure a ML SP here, and why wouldn't it?

It's hard to waste money on a one year deal. I also don't want to clog the rotation with any more than one or two veterans besides Means. 

This is not a big deal for me. Yeah it's more than he should have cost but we are a very bad team in a very tough division. I'm just glad it's not Wade LeBlanc again.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Clearly that's what it took to lure a ML SP here, and why wouldn't it?

It's hard to waste money on a one year deal. I also don't want to clog the rotation with any more than one or two veterans besides Means. 

This is not a big deal for me. Yeah it's more than he should have cost but we are a very bad team in a very tough division. I'm just glad it's not Wade LeBlanc again.

Jordan Lyles posted a 5.34 FIP and 1.9 HR/9 in 2021.

Matt Harvey posted a 4.60 FIP and 1.3 HR/9 in 2021.

And Harvey pitched in the brutally difficult AL East while Lyles pitched in the much more forgiving AL West.

We literally should have just given Matt Harvey seven million dollars instead.