MLB Lockout Thread

Can_of_corn

19 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

They certainly are. As are best-of-three, best-of-five, and even best-of-seven series. But the single-elimination tourney would get great ratings (ratings always spike for a Game 7) and the winner would be so obviously illegitimate that people would have to give some recognition the team with the best record.

You know what else would get great ratings? A golfer with an arm growing out of his ass. 

Side note: I worry I quote Happy Gilmore too much. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I pretty much disagree with this. The names of the players change all the time. Our favorite 2035 Orioles are currently in elementary school. Yes, the level of play needs to be strong, but the game transcends the current owners and players. 

Give me 30 new owners and swap out half the current players with ones just on the cusp, make the games crisp and competitive and I think we would be fine. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

Very possible. I haven’t really noticed it, but if I was a fringe ML player I would’ve looked for other opportunities this year. I was hoping for more established guys to sign with their local independent team and give fans something to see. It would be a really strong statement to see Mike Trout and Max Scherzer out there playing for the love of the game while owners lock them all out. 

I remember the last long strike 94-95.  These All-Star games were really terrible.

9 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

I pretty much disagree with this. The names of the players change all the time. Our favorite 2035 Orioles are currently in elementary school. Yes, the level of play needs to be strong, but the game transcends the current owners and players. 

Give me 30 new owners and swap out half the current players with ones just on the cusp, make the games crisp and competitive and I think we would be fine. 

I agree.  The whole 'the players are the product' misses the fact that for MOST fans, their loyalty and viewership is to the TEAM, not to the individual players.  I LOVED Mussina, but once he put on the Yankees uniform I quit watching him or following his career really.  I'm an Orioles fan first, the players are a VERY distant second.  And I think that's true with most, though certainly not all, baseball fans.  Basketball fans seem a bit different as it's a much more player driven league IMO.  

Edited by forphase1
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

As I have said, I thought May 1 was the first realistic date of baseball if a deal isn’t worked out.

So, let’s play this out.  To get a CBA done to have games on May 1, that means a deal needs to get hammered out by the end of March if we stick to the 4 weeks of ST timeline.  So, they have 31 days to get a deal done.

With all the animosity and the way the owners are handling this and knowing that they have to then negotiate pay for this year, it’s hard to believe that a deal gets wrapped up by then.  

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I agree.  The whole 'the players are the product' misses the fact that for MOST fans, their loyalty and viewership is to the TEAM, not to the individual players.  I LOVED Mussina, but once he put on the Yankees uniform I quit watching him or following his career really.  I'm an Orioles fan first, the players are a VERY distant second.  And I think that's true with most, though certainly not all, baseball fans.  Basketball fans seem a bit different as it's a much more player driven league IMO.  

Yea but the players are the team.  They go hand in hand.

The fans are the game and both sides forget that.  They believe the fans are a given and forget there are so many more ways to spend $$$ these days. The common denominator for both owners and players are to make as much money as they can and not necessarily for the good of the game or fans.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes, but ANY good players are the team. Replace all of the current O's with 25 new guys I know nothing about, and if they are hanging around a playoff spot in June, I wont miss the old guys one bit. 

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But only to a point.  Players come and go.  We've had Robinsons and Palmers and Ripkens and Murrays leave, retire, get traded, etc and yet the team is still here.  The team is bigger than any player, or even groups of players.  While players are the product, it's temporary where the team is much more constant, at least in most cases.