O's could be getting Marquis

bigbird

I like the deal. I like adding Pie's raw talents to the outfield and lineup. I have no problem with Marquis because I view him as a veteran innings eater like some we have talked about getting through free agency. However, if I'm not mistaken, Marquis comes with a one year commitment. Isn't this his final year of a 3 year 21 mi deal?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder what the 4 million coming back from the Cubs will go too?

Nothing, it just means we'll be paying Marquis just shy of 6 million rather than just shy of 10 million. Marquis could be a real nightmare this year but 5.8 million isn't bad for a back end innings eater and if it prevents us for going after Garland I am ALL for it.

Nothing, it just means we'll be paying Marquis just shy of 6 million rather than just shy of 10 million. Marquis could be a real nightmare this year but 5.8 million isn't bad for a back end innings eater and if it prevents us for going after Garland I am ALL for it.

Are we cool with this rotation

Guthrie

Marguis

Garland

Japanese Pitcher

Albers

I like the deal. I like adding Pie's raw talents to the outfield and lineup. I have no problem with Marquis because I view him as a veteran innings eater like some we have talked about getting through free agency. However, if I'm not mistaken, Marquis comes with a one year commitment. Isn't this his final year of a 3 year 21 mi deal?

Yes, he's owed 9.875 M for 2009 and then will leave via free agency. As long as the cubs are eating about a quarter of that or more I'm fine with it. And the reason I'm fine with it is specifically because he'll only be a one year commitment, versus Garland or some of the other bad FA options.

I think there's a pretty good likelihood of Marquis putting up a 5+ ERA in OPACY. But as long as we aren't paying more than 7 Mil for him and he walks after 2009 I'm okay with it. We don't need an expensive, aging, backend stop gap for more than one year because we'll have a ton of young pitchers become ML ready in the next couple seasons.

Archived