O's could be getting Marquis

bigbird

As usual read as little or as much into this as you want. Here's the deal I was told that was on the table to the Cubs:

Cubs get Peavy from SD

Orioles get Pie, Marquis + 4 million cash from CHI

Phillies get Derosa from CHI

SD gets Hill, Vitters, Cedeno from CHI, Olson form Bal, Happ from PHI

Thanks for information. I would not like the Phillies to give up Happ. He is a tough young Lefty

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As usual read as little or as much into this as you want. Here's the deal I was told that was on the table to the Cubs:

Cubs get Peavy from SD

Orioles get Pie, Marquis + 4 million cash from CHI

Phillies get Derosa from CHI

SD gets Hill, Vitters, Cedeno from CHI, Olson form Bal, Happ from PHI

I am hearing Happ-Madson- + prospect for DeRosa-Marquis- Ludwig. That would be good for both teams

Fat chance of that. They won't shut up even if he signs Tex as well.:rolleyestf:

I can already hear, "Having Tex is great but pop without strong pitching is a recipe for baseball mediocrity. Not signing Burnett or Sheets makes this trade only semi-successful IMO."

Marquis has a career ERA of 5.62 against AL teams, that's worse than DCab's. His lifetime WHIP isn't much better than DCab's either, as is his ERA+. Not to mention, when was the last time bringing a NL starter into the AL East worked? Color me confused as to why Marquis is a welcomed addition. :confused:

Marquis has a career ERA of 5.62 against AL teams, that's worse than DCab's. His lifetime WHIP isn't much better than DCab's either, as is his ERA+. Not to mention, when was the last time bringing a NL starter into the AL East worked? Color me confused as to why Marquis is a welcomed addition. :confused:

Because his salary is off the books after 2009. He's nothing but a stopgap until the kids are ready - but he allows us to avoid handing out a 2 or 3 year deal to someone like Garland.

Because his salary is off the books after 2009. He's nothing but a stopgap until the kids are ready - but he allows us to avoid handing out a 2 or 3 year deal to someone like Garland.

And heck, if he does OK, we can trade him in July or August...

Even with the acquisition of Marquis (provided it happens), that still leaves a question or two in the rotation...

Guthrie

Marquis

DCaBB (ugh)

Liz, Albers, Bergesen, Burres?

Since AJ seems to be pricing himself out of the O's plans, perhaps a guy like Garland would be necessary too. Plus, I'd rather keep Albers in the pen--too good last year as a long man to burn in the rotation. Though I'm still hoping that the Rays suddenly offer Sonnanstine in a trade for prospects.

Without speculating on whether this actually happens, if MacPhail pulls off Olson for Pie, Marquis and $4 mm, then his naysayers need to SHUT UP!

There will always be naysayers so long as people think the Os would be better run IF THEY were in charge. :rolleyes:

I think he's already doing a great job, not including this trade, and so when someone says "he has to do more, trade more, trade, trade, trade" that doesn't mean they're right. It doesn't mean it's the best decision for this team.

I don't like the deal because we aren't filling a need. We need a SS -- we need a couple of quality starters. We don't need Pie (Scott/Montanez/Reimold)-- we don't need Marquis (Olson has much, much more upside) -- and the only reason we need $4M is to cover the loss when we trade Hernandez and have to pay half his salary.

Archived