O's could be getting Marquis

bigbird

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't like the deal because we aren't filling a need. We need a SS -- we need a couple of quality starters. We don't need Pie (Scott/Montanez/Reimold)-- we don't need Marquis (Olson has much, much more upside) -- and the only reason we need $4M is to cover the loss when we trade Hernanez and have to pay half his salary.

Not that I dont agree ... But Olson for Pie & Marquis is good value. I don't think much of Pie personally. If AM has a trade in mind for him, Scott Montanez, & Reimold. I would guess he has something else in the works.

All it says is that Coste is not a player they're interested in and that Cedeno in does mean that Greene is out. Also confirms that Peavy wouldn't drop his no trade for Atlanta but everyone knows he is interested in Chicago. Not sure how that equates to "not looking to good" for the Peavy trade.

All it says is that Coste is not a player they're interested in and that Cedeno in does mean that Greene is out. Also confirms that Peavy wouldn't drop his no trade for Atlanta but everyone knows he is interested in Chicago. Not sure how that equates to "not looking to good" for the Peavy trade.

From bigbirds original post, this article has relevance that the Padres are not seeking Happ, which is in the original post. Also, the Padres are not looking at Cedano as their SS, which is in bigbirds post. I was answering a question of "how likely" does bigbirds trade get done.

Vlad didn't fill a need either if we're going by your criteria.

This team has one need and that is TALENT!!!!!

Vlad didn't fill a need?.....say what? :eek:

But I agree 100% that we need talent. However IMO, a trade of Olson for Pie and Marquis doesn't necessarily qualify on filling that need. While Pie has the "potential," he is just as likely to become a Cory Patterson clone. And IMO, Marquis doesn't have anywhere near the "talent" that Olson has. I think it will click for Olson this year, no matter where he is pitching.

Vlad didn't fill a need?.....say what? :eek:

But I agree 100% that we need talent. However IMO, a trade of Olson for Pie and Marquis doesn't necessarily qualify on filling that need. While Pie has the "potential," he is just as likely to become a Cory Patterson clone. And IMO, Marquis doesn't have anywhere near the "talent" that Olson has. I think it will click for Olson this year, no matter where he is pitching.

For the love of all that is holy, how can Pie be a "Patterson-clone" but Olson have "a great upside" when Pie is younger and has less experience?

I feel like I am taking crazy-pills here!

For the love of all that is holy, how can Pie be a "Patterson-clone" but Olson have "a great upside" when Pie is younger and has less experience?

I feel like I am taking crazy-pills here!

Nah, it's just homerism. I mean that in the nicest way. Orioles fans like their Orioles players-- which is something Olson is and Pie is not. You can be comfortable with Olson because you know how he pitches, how he pitched in the minors and is someone you can become intimately comfortable with and have high expectations for. Pie isn't any of that since he's been a Cub his whole life and struggled in a brief MLB stint. Olson struggled too, but he gets the benefit of the doubt because he's a homegrown guy, even though he had a full season to get his act together? That doesn't seem fair to me. Pie will always get an unfair shake from O's fans, especially if Olson turns into John Maine for the Padres. It could benefit one club and not the other, but it could just as easily be successful or bomb out for both clubs as well.

A few tidbits from ESPN

Baseball people who have spoken with the Phillies say that, while the Phillies have interest in acquiring Mark DeRosa as part of the multiteam Jake Peavy extravaganza, they have no plans to tread water to see if that deal goes down.

They continue to express interest in free agent Raul Ibanez. And one friend of Ibanez's said the outfielder told him the Phillies are his first choice.

• Meanwhile, the Cubs wouldn't be interested in trading DeRosa unless they first acquired a left-handed-hitting outfielder, who, ironically, might also turn out to be Ibanez. The Cubs are trying to balance their lineup. So adding a left-handed hitter in the outfield and installing left-handed-hitting Mike Fontenot at second base in place of DeRosa would accomplish that.

Either Freel to the Cubbies to go to Philly or let them fight over who gets Luke Scott? With the O's picking up Donald?

This is what I was thinking. I don't know if we are holding onto Freel...

Freel to the Phillies to cover Utley while he's out? Sounds plausible to me.

Freel to the Cubs to cover them moving one of their 2nd baseman to Philly to cover Utley? Again reasonable.

Marquis back to the O's in a swap for Freel instead of the Cubs sending 4M in cash (isn't it interesting that the reported cash amount the Cubs would send with Marquis is exactly Freel's 2008 salary?? :P)

All kinds of interesting stuff for McPhail to work with IMHO.

Archived