Bleacher Reports new farm system rankings are out.

waynebug

Orioles #8

Tampa Bay #1

Up and Coming Pirates #7.

My Braves got a "generous" # 11

Nationals were near the bottom, but they've got some good pitchers, the Catcher Ruiz from the Dodgers and Brady House.  And they signed  the Biggest international bonus the last 2 years.  A shortstop in 2021, an outfielder this year.

4 hours ago, waynebug said:

They rate each team's top 10 prospects.

The Orioles have 4 Tier 1 prospects, only 3 Tier 2 prospects.  The other 3 are Tier 3 prospects.

All the teams ranked above the O's had more Tier 1 prospects.  Tampa Bay has 7 Tier 1 prospects.

That is frightening.   

Do they explain what the Tiers mean?

My feeling is, the Bleacher Report writer is entitled to his opinion.  My sense is that, although some evaluators rank the Orioles at no. 1, it is not that clear cut the way Tampa was last year.   8th sounds low but I won’t be surprised if some other evaluators have us outside the top 3.    At the end of the day, I only care what the farm system ends up producing, not how someone ranked them.  

Interestingly, Fangraphs values the Cubs’ system at $189.5 mm, the Giants at $188.5 mm, the Yankees at $185 mm and the Blue Jays at $183.5 mm.   Very tightly packed.   Bleacher Report ranks them 12th, 4th, 15th and 24th.   So, obviously opinions can vary a lot.