What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Rougned Odor?

Frobby

What’s your 2022 OPS projection for Rougned Odor?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your 2022 OPS Projection for Rougned Odor?

• .780 or higher
    • .750 - .779
    • .720 - .749
    • .690 - .719
    • .660 - .689
    • Under .660

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/28/22 at 22:20

OK, we’re done with the players who actually can be expected to hit decently and now we’re into the guys we hope will surprise us.   Today, it’s Rougned Odor.   He’s got a .722 career OPS, but was at .665 last year and .623 in 2020.   He’s been as high as .798, but has been sub-.700 in 4 of his 8 seasons.   What are you expecting from Odor?

Bottom 1% xBA, bottom 5% xOBP, bottom 21% xSLG in 2021.  Tons of regression and statistical deviation over the last few years.  Consistently dropping speed.  Maybe regression to mean (.720ish OPS)?  The only real plus I see is that he pulls the ball to RF 44+% on his career and 51.6% in 2021.  We're hoping for the same thing the Yankees did last year in their stadium.  He'll be 28, but I don't think he has more upside than 2016.  2018-2019 is probably the best we can hope for.  But unless the O's coaches can change his approach (less LA and better swings at breaking balls/off-speed pitches), it'll be more of the same (2020-2021).  I'm going chalk with .660-.689 range with a chance for less.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m still holding out hope he doesn’t make the team.

Well, he is mostly a 2B  but Urias will out hits him.  Urias probably wins the 2B job.   That puts him competing with Gutierrez for 3B.   He's not as good defensive at 3B and they will hit for close to the same OPS (660-670).  

He is pretty much a backup 2B/3B.    I don't know if  Odor will be happy as a backup.   Elias is probably looking for someone better.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I would like to see as bad as usual but that didn’t stop them signing him.

My larger hope is that Elias actually starts to value wins and brings in a real player.

That's why I think Odor is making the team unless there is some incident that occurs during spring training. Just let someone already in the organization have a chance playing 2B/3B. It's at a league minimum salary, but this a bad signing and yet another retread player.