Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

12 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Almost sounds like he has been kidnapped. 

I'm waiting on the video where he's constantly looking to the side, telling us how well he's progressing 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get how you can be healthy enough for live batting practice but not be able to DH in an actual game.  His legs are fine, how is dhing going to exacerbate a triceps injury more than live BP?

Yeah, seems like he could go to Norfolk and at least DH and get his timing back, even if they still want him to do some more throwing progression before catching 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would think that live BP would be full effort.

Otherwise he'd be hitting off a T or having a coach tossing them up.

Also, he hit a HR.

I'd expect there could easily be a difference between the intensity of game swing and BP swing... particularly if instructed to take it easy.

And connecting well on a 75% swing might well produce warning track power, or even a little better.

It's easy to pontificate from the cheap seats...  but you really have no idea what his condition is... and no basis for which to second-guess those who are actually entrusted with his well-being.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I'm waiting on the video where he's constantly looking to the side, telling us how well he's progressing 

Yeah, seems like he could go to Norfolk and at least DH and get his timing back, even if they still want him to do some more throwing progression before catching 

I wasn't even suggesting that, I was talking about DHing in the extended spring training game that was going on.

This situation is odd...  The most likely (Pollyanna?) cause is that they are really overly cautious about any type of injury and "analytic-type" personalities don't understand the value of relating with the marketplace.  Given the bad mojo we've had with various injuries/illnesses over the years (like Means, Mancini and a list of others we've wanted to trade).  

But the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if the injury was never legit or if the injury is more severe than they want to let on but doesn't impact his hitting.   

Our second guessing speaks to a lack of transparency and/or a lack of trust.  Both could have some legitimate degree of executive gamesmanship.  But there are many instances where lack of transparency means there's some nuance that has a public and/or employee relationship issue related to it.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, seak05 said:

He could be blinking Morse signals "Please can some real organization trade for me."

5 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He was either more injured than we were told or there's some service time manipulation going on.  Either way it's not fun.  I just want to see the kid up in Baltimore already.

I'm leaning towards the initial triceps strain being more serious than what the team indicated. Elias could have played the service time manipulation game without sidelining Rutschman for the past month. 

Hopefully this can be put to bed by next week this time when Ruschman is playing in games for Norfolk or Bowie. If he's not playing in games next week then this is beyond the realm of minor injury. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He was either more injured than we were told or there's some service time manipulation going on.  Either way it's not fun.  I just want to see the kid up in Baltimore already.

That seems extreme for service time manipulation unless they are trying to avoid super 2 status.  Obviously it's a real injury.  With the O's, you can never tell how bad it is w/ their top secret status on every injury. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That seems extreme for service time manipulation unless they are trying to avoid super 2 status.  Obviously it's a real injury.  With the O's, you can never tell how bad it is w/ their top secret status on every injury. 

Yeah. If it was manipulation, he'd be catching at AAA right now and would be up in the majors very soon. That doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder when he does finally get into games how many they'll need before he comes to the Majors. 

15 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

He could be blinking Morse signals "Please can some real organization trade for me."

Certainly in max tinfoil hat mode my inner child has some bit of John Elway-Eli Manning "I'm not going to play for this undesirable situation" fear happening.   I am very curious to see if in the coming weeks or months Jeff Passan, Tom Verducci, or even Brittany Ghiroli get quotes from him on any kind of piece what has been going on the last month and a half.    I know what the tone of the MASNAccess video is going to be.

Even if independent media cares to really try and talk with him and dig in, it's a tricky situation for him even if he feels like his muscle strain is being handled too conservatively.

Also, Felix Bautista made the opening day roster, so obviously we aren't doing anything even a little bit shady.

The fact that we are having this conversation shows the complete fail this organization has become when it comes to informing fans. They truly don't care if we get any information. When their computer program tells them it's time to play him, they'll play him. I mean it will probably be in a lab controlled environment where the Orioles "analytic coaches" can observe every aspect of his swing, angles and velocities of his outcomes to feed back into the computer.

Who cares about the human aspects of these players playing against true competition? Right?

For all of the Orioles hyper conservative ways of rehabbing players, they sure do not have a great history of stopping players from getting hurt. 

Inured players already this year:
Means
Rutschaman
Diaz
Vavra
Hall
Baumler

23 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I don't think that you or me or anyone else here has clue #1 about what the "schedule" is and whether Rutschman is ahead of schedule or behind schedule.

Aside from the quote from March 16th saying 2-3 weeks until he sees "action".  I'd say that counts as clue #1.

It sure sounds like they had a schedule and since it's been over a month and he isn't cleared to DH in an extended spring training game I'm going with they are behind schedule.