Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

4th inning.   Let us know what you see.  

I went back and watched it again. He short hopped it by quite a bit, I'd say 15 feet at least. Was a decent hop that a good SS or 2B would get, but not surprising that at this level it wasn't picked off the hop.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

4th inning.   Let us know what you see.  

I've watched it 4 times. It's definitely a throw which makes you wonder. The throw is hardly a wounded duck. There is velocity on the throw but it bounces about 10 feet in front of 2B.  Someone gets a glove on it to slow it up going into CF. You can maybe chalk it up to rust but it certainly puts bad thoughts in your head.

1 hour ago, nevadaO said:

I went back and watched it again. He short hopped it by quite a bit, I'd say 15 feet at least. Was a decent hop that a good SS or 2B would get, but not surprising that at this level it wasn't picked off the hop.

Yeah, I went back and watched it too.  Clearly was watching through light blue-colored glasses (that's the Ironbirds colors this week)

It was thrown way short. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Braves have activated Acuna, who tore his ACL last July. They did it earlier than expected and after just 6 games.

Will Adley even be in Norfolk after 6 games?

Answer: no.

Acuna is an established major league star and he hit .368/.520/.417 in his 25 PA rehab.   The Braves will hope to contend this year and so there’s a premium on getting their best player back as soon as possible.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Answer: no.

Acuna is an established major league star and he hit .368/.520/.417 in his 25 PA rehab.   The Braves will hope to contend this year and so there’s a premium on getting their best player back as soon as possible.

There is also a premium on making sure their $100M, franchise player doesn’t have long term effects from the knee.  They feel his knee is fine.  I’m guessing the triceps is fine too.  

Its obviously a difference in approach. The Orioles are over the top conservative on these things and guys are still getting hurt, so it’s not like their methods are proven to work.

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is also a premium on making sure their $100M, franchise player doesn’t have long term effects from the knee.  They feel his knee is fine.  I’m guessing the triceps is fine too.  

Its obviously a difference in approach. The Orioles are over the top conservative on these things and guys are still getting hurt, so it’s not like their methods are proven to work.

I’m not making a judgment.  But I’d bet if Rutschman was a 3rd/4th year player with an established major league track record, his rehab stint would be way shorter.   Just for example, when Matt Wieters missed a year from TJ surgery, he had a rehab stint of five games before he got called up.   

But I don’t know the ins and outs of Rutschman’s injury, and since he didn’t play in spring training and has never played in a major league game, it makes sense to give him more rehab runway so that he’s good and ready when he comes up.   

FYI, for a position player already in the majors, the longest permissible rehab assignment is 20 days (30 for pitchers).   So it seems the Union doesn’t think it takes more than three weeks to be ready.   I don’t think this rule applies to Rutschman, but I do think he needs to be “permanently” assigned to an affiliate after 20 days if he’s not called up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I’m not making a judgment.  But I’d bet if Rutschman was a 3rd/4th year player with an established major league track record, his rehab stint would be way shorter.   Just for example, when Matt Wieters missed a year from TJ surgery, he had a rehab stint of five games before he got called up.   

But I don’t know the ins and outs of Rutschman’s injury, and since he didn’t play in spring training and has never played in a major league game, it makes sense to give him more rehab runway so that he’s good and ready when he comes up.   

FYI, for a position player already in the majors, the longest permissible rehab assignment is 20 days (30 for pitchers).   So it seems the Union doesn’t think it takes more than three weeks to be ready.   I don’t think this rule applies to Rutschman, but I do think he needs to be “permanently” assigned to an affiliate after 20 days if he’s not called up.

Yes because the team wouldn't be gaming service time and potential super 2 status if he was already a MLer. This isn't being done for his "well being".

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The Super 2 things is what I'm focused on.

Overly so some folks will tell you.

I don’t rule out that the O’s are trying to game his Super Two status.  I just don’t think that’s clear at all at this point.   The Super 2 date tends to vary between mid-May and mid-June.   So let’s say they call him up on May 15 — I’d say at that point the case that they’re manipulating his service time is weak.   Alternatively, if they wait until June 15, the case is much stronger.    So, we’ll see exactly what they do, and how Rutschman is performing.

FWIW, the most recent Super 2 cutoff (determined after last season ended) was 2 years, 116 days.   This year, a player who debuted on June 13 or later would get less than 116 days of service.   But nobody knows whether the Super Two cutoff after the 2024 season will be higher or lower than 2.116.   Historically, that’s towards the low end of the spectrum.  

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t rule out that the O’s are trying to game his Super Two status.  I just don’t think that’s clear at all at this point.   The Super 2 date tends to vary between mid-May and mid-June.   So let’s say they call him up on May 15 — I’d say at that point the case that they’re manipulating his service time is weak.   Alternatively, if they wait until June 15, the case is much stronger.    So, we’ll see exactly what they do, and how Rutschman is performing.

We'll know if they were manipulating it if he misses the cutoff by a few days.

It will just take us a while to get that information.