Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Rutschman is in the lineup tonight batting 2nd and catching. Appears it's just Blood/Elias' ultra conservative approach to rehabbing a healthy 24-year old young man who has played baseball all his life. 

Well you never know, maybe he is catching but they aren't allowing him to throw to second (LOL). I really want to see this guy get used to playing 6 days a week every week and catching at least 5 of those.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Huh?   The fact is that he's overseen 3 drafts with the Orioles.   The jury is out on Elias.  I'm not sure that's a fact but I do agree with it.

Right, 3.   We won’t know the results of those for a long time.   The yield looks good based on what we can see in the minors.   Ultimately it’s major league production that will matter.   It’s neither good nor bad right now, just unknown.  

7 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't get the need to pull a catcher out in the middle of the game.  Is that going to be a new thing, catcher relievers?  It was obvious the catcher was tiring in the 7th, so we brought in a new catcher w/ fresh legs.

Can't let a 24-year old play a whole game now after rehabbing for 6 weeks with a "tricep strain".

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't get the need to pull a catcher out in the middle of the game.  Is that going to be a new thing, catcher relievers?  It was obvious the catcher was tiring in the 7th, so we brought in a new catcher w/ fresh legs.

Have you ever noticed that the starters don’t play all game the first few weeks of spring training?   This is Rutschman’s spring training.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Have you ever noticed that the starters don’t play all game the first few weeks of spring training?   This is Rutschman’s spring training.  

I've seen regular rehabs and they don't look like this.

It isn't as if he even missed all of spring training.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Isn’t part of that to get other guys in the game?

I don’t accept this explanation. Rehabbing for a month in Sarasota should have gotten him in some type of baseball shape. 

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

They certainly are taking their time easing Rutschman back into playing. Maybe this weekend he will get to catch a full game? 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They slower they ramp him up the fewer questions about why he isn't being promoted to the majors.

I'm not surprised the organization is slow walking yet another player, but it's weird when you see it in practice. Is Rutschman complaining he's sore when being pulled early?

I would think with six weeks to heal and practicing in Florida that Rutschman would be really to catch a full nine innings. 

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

From the beginnings of organized baseball until pretty far along in the 20th century the teams and papers would announce the starting battery, not just the pitcher.  Catching with primitive equipment was so difficult that every team had a backup catcher (or two) even in the eras where teams only carried 12, 13, 15 players.  Usually teams would give even a great catcher a lot of rest, either not playing or playing another position.

The real oldtimers sometimes would call Buck Ewing the greatest catcher ever and even the greatest player ever, and he had a career high of 97 games/834 innings caught in a season.

For Adley, I do wonder if giving him a light load early on might help him have a longer career.  Bob Boone didn't even start catching until 23.  Yadier Molina was in the minors from 18 but never caught 120 games until 23. Gary Carter was 23 before he caught 120 games in a season.  Fisk was 24. Pierzynski 25.  Parrish 23.  I guess it's plausible.

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

From the beginnings of organized baseball until pretty far along in the 20th century the teams and papers would announce the starting battery, not just the pitcher.  Catching with primitive equipment was so difficult that every team had a backup catcher (or two) even in the eras where teams only carried 12, 13, 15 players.  Usually teams would give even a great catcher a lot of rest, either not playing or playing another position.

The real oldtimers sometimes would call Buck Ewing the greatest catcher ever and even the greatest player ever, and he had a career high of 97 games/834 innings caught in a season.

For Adley, I do wonder if giving him a light load early on might help him have a longer career.  Bob Boone didn't even start catching until 23.  Yadier Molina was in the minors from 18 but never caught 120 games until 23. Gary Carter was 23 before he caught 120 games in a season.  Fisk was 24. Pierzynski 25.  Parrish 23.  I guess it's plausible.

Pudge caught 116 and 134 at 20 and 21.