Adley Rutschman 2022

Just Regular

22 minutes ago, Aglets said:

FWIW, Dan Connolly of the Athletic just did a Q & A on their site, and said he expects Adley to be in games by next week.    I hope you are right but Elias is nothing if not conservative with these injury timetables.

Also I read somewhere that the Norfolk Tides announcers said Adley will hopefully be in games by the end of this week. Not sure how they know or if this is accurate information.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Also I read somewhere that the Norfolk Tides announcers said Adley will hopefully be in games by the end of this week. Not sure how they know or if this is accurate information.

I believe it is 100% accurate that the announcers are hoping that happens.   ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

If Rutschman is not playing Norfolk by this week, I'd say there was a setback at some point. Just like I'm not buying that Baumler is being held back in extended to watch his innings. 

I think that's being conservative.  I think there already has been a setback and they're being strangely quiet about this.

IIRC, he's already behind the timetable that was laid out at the beginning of his injury.  IMO, that means one of two things (or maybe both):  The injury was worse than initially reported and/or there was a setback.

I didn't see Connolly's chat, but that's HIS expectation and I'm not sure where he's getting that notion from.  That's not necessarily what's going to happen here.

My bull**** detectors went off on Means' initial injury prognosis and I'm getting the same feeling here.  Something stinks.  

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that's being conservative.  I think there already has been a setback and they're being strangely quiet about this.

IIRC, he's already behind the timetable that was laid out at the beginning of his injury.  IMO, that means one of two things (or maybe both):  The injury was worse than initially reported and/or there was a setback.

I didn't see Connolly's chat, but that's HIS expectation and I'm not sure where he's getting that notion from.  That's not necessarily what's going to happen here.

My bull**** detectors went off on Means' initial injury prognosis and I'm getting the same feeling here.  Something stinks.  

It has stunk from the start. 

I've never heard of someone immediately being ruled out for three weeks with a tricep strain just like I've never heard of anyone immediately ruled out for two to three months with a hamstring pull.  Typically these are day to to day injuries and then a timeline for recovery evolves from that. 

I think there is a potentially more serious issue involved with Rutschman and in Kjerstad's case this has to be a Grade 3 injury, the most severe of hamstring tears.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

It has stunk from the start. 

I've never heard of someone immediately being ruled out for three weeks with a tricep strain just like I've never heard of anyone immediately ruled out for two to three months with a hamstring pull.  Typically these are day to to day injuries and then a timeline for recovery evolves from that. 

I think there is a potentially more serious issue involved with Rutschman and in Kjerstad's case this has to be a Grade 3 injury, the most severe of hamstring tears.  

Yeah, I'm obviously no expert on a triceps strain but it doesn't seem to be an injury that should take this long.  I mean, it's not a tear.  It's not a pull.  It's the most mild version of a pull you can get.  

He's not hit the conservative timetable that was laid out for him at the start of it.  There's no mention of when he'll be able to play games...right now there's just "hope" from Connolly and whoever else.  

I was hoping that at the very least, he'd be up in Baltimore by May 1st but I think that's out of the window now.  We know how conservative Elias is with everything and I'm wondering if mid-May is even reasonable now.  I can just hear it now...."There are some things that he needs to work on before we promote him," etc, etc.  

Roch update:

Top prospect Adley Rutschman isn’t ready to play, but he’s getting closer.

Rutschman is catching bullpen sessions and participating in some defensive drills while also continuing his throwing and hitting progressions. He got his first live at-bats a few days ago, “and in Adley Rutschman style, he hit a home run,” Packer said.

Of course he did.

“He’s in great spirits,” Packer said. “He shows up every day, he’s getting all of his work in, he looks great. He’s just progressing. Every day he’s getting to do a little bit more, it seems. Every day he just continues to look like Adley Rutschman.”

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Roch update:

Top prospect Adley Rutschman isn’t ready to play, but he’s getting closer.

Rutschman is catching bullpen sessions and participating in some defensive drills while also continuing his throwing and hitting progressions. He got his first live at-bats a few days ago, “and in Adley Rutschman style, he hit a home run,” Packer said.

Of course he did.

“He’s in great spirits,” Packer said. “He shows up every day, he’s getting all of his work in, he looks great. He’s just progressing. Every day he’s getting to do a little bit more, it seems. Every day he just continues to look like Adley Rutschman.”

But he's totally not behind schedule.

Either he's healthy and ready to play in games or he's not.  I don't understand the need for an extensive rehab in Sarasota for a three week injury. 

Looks like this weekend is out.  If we are lucky, we could see him with an affiliate (Norfolk I hope?) on Tuesday. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Either he's healthy and ready to play in games or he's not.  I don't understand the need for an extensive rehab in Sarasota for a three week injury. 

Looks like this weekend is out.  If we are lucky, we could see him with an affiliate (Norfolk I hope?) on Tuesday. 

I don't get how you can be healthy enough for live batting practice but not be able to DH in an actual game.  His legs are fine, how is dhing going to exacerbate a triceps injury more than live BP?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't get how you can be healthy enough for live batting practice but not be able to DH in an actual game.  His legs are fine, how is dhing going to exacerbate a triceps injury more than live BP?

Intensity of swing?