Matt Harvey close to minor league deal. (Update: signed)

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It makes him a good student.

Its kind of like, just because you are a doctor, doesn't mean you know more than a nurse does.  It just means you did well in school.

BTW, I don't think Elias is dumb by any means but I do find it funny how people consistently give the benefit of the doubt to FO executives in sports yet when they are out of the game, people cant wait to say, see there is a reason you aren't in the game anymore.

No, I believe he's smart, I was just being an ass about it.  He went to TJ, too.  He's not a dummy.  He took his smarts and applied them and was a good student to top it all off.  

But you look at a move like this and just wonder WTF.  It doesn't make sense when there were way better options available.  

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I think it's important to remember Harvey was a good soldier last year, and this could be seen as an opportunity in turn.

A good soldier?  He was given a chance to play in the majors and there was probably one team that was willing to give it to him.

He wasn't doing charity work and its not like he is working 15 hour days trying to cure cancer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

Well he went to Yale so it makes it a little more likely he's smart than if he went to Harvard. 

I know he went to Yale.  But it's a big deal to those guys if you switch up their schools and confuse the two.  Y'know, in case anyone in the Warehouse is reading.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Breathe. Minor League Deal. 2nd half Harvey would probably be a welcome addition to the 2022 rotation. If it's first half Harvey, he can hit the road. There's a chance none of the Lowther, Alex Wells, Akin, crew step up and we are in need of some innings to fill in the dog days of Summer. At the very least, I think Harvey is an upgrade over Watkins lol. 

8 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Breathe. Minor League Deal. 2nd half Harvey would probably be a welcome addition to the 2022 rotation. If it's first half Harvey, he can hit the road. There's a chance none of the Lowther, Alex Wells, Akin, crew step up and we are in need of some innings to fill in the dog days of Summer. At the very least, I think Harvey is an upgrade over Watkins lol. 

No version of Harvey, since his glory days in NY, is a welcome addition to the team for this season.  He may have been a better buy than Lyles was but that ship has sailed.  Those starts need to go to potential longer term options.  

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

No version of Harvey since his glory days in NY is a welcome addition to the team for this season.  He may have been a better buy than Lyles was but that ship has sailed.  Those starts need to go to potential longer term options.  

If our group of 2nd tier SP prospects are putting up 6.00 ERA's in Norfolk and/or our more established major league SP's get an injury bug, we may not have 5 "longer term options" to trot out there. 

10 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

It's still a dumb move.  Why would anyone try to justify it, especially when there were better options available for a retread ML pitcher who'd accept a minor league deal?

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why's it important to remember that?  

Because it very well explains this signing.

I know you guys have the luxury of not giving a crap about the personal aspects of an organization, but people who actually run organizations have to take these things into consideration.

Harvey comported as a professional last year.  He did what he was asked and never complained.  Presumably, they were likewise happy with his presence in the locker room and around the team.

These things have value.

Now, you don't give a guy a 20 million dollar deal based on it.  Or even a guaranteed roster spot.  But if you're just looking for a low maintenance break-only-in-case-of-emergency option, getting the one you're familiar with makes imminent sense.

25 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I know he went to Yale.  But it's a big deal to those guys if you switch up their schools and confuse the two.  Y'know, in case anyone in the Warehouse is reading.  

I have an advanced degree from Johns Hopkins.  I wouldn't have signed Harvey.