Nick Vespi 2022

Frobby

For some reason, I have it in my head that Nick Vespi is going to get a big league opportunity this year and stick.  He was left off the 40-man roster but impressed a lot of people in the AFL last fall.

Vespi had a nice start to his season today, tossing 2.1 scores innings, allowing 1 hit and striking out 2, with no walks.  He threw 20 strikes in 27 pitches.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

He's definitely going to get a chance at some point. He's using his slider effectively against lefties and the curve at the backfoot of the righties. The fastball is nothing to right home about, but if Fry fails, he could be his replacement.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For all the talk of Rutschman, the guy that probably has the most beef right now is Nick Vespi.

14.1IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, 21K, 3BB.

SSS yes, but you can't get much more "ready" than that.  I know the bullpen has been a relative strength this year, but this guy should be up.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

For all the talk of Rutschman, the guy that probably has the most beef right now is Nick Vespi.

14.1IP, 0.00 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, 21K, 3BB.

SSS yes, but you can't get much more "ready" than that.  I know the bullpen has been a relative strength this year, but this guy should be up.

They are out there getting AAAA guys like Allen but won't give Vespi a chance. I just don't get this regime and what they are trying to do this year.

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like Vespi, but he’s got to get that out there versus Hosmer. 

Threw a great pitch the one before and Hosmer spoiled it.   When he keeps it down he’s pretty damn good.  Kremer also couldn’t put J.D. away.  You still have to score. Team loss.

• 1 month later...

With a week left to play, Vespi has a chance to accomplish the rare feat of finishing the AAA season with a 0.00 ERA.

Obviously there are a lot of caveats there, as his innings count is relatively low (26.2) due to being part of the shuttle between the minors and majors, but still, that would be a neat accomplishment that I have to imagine is pretty rare.  While his 0.64 WHIP didn't quite translate to the majors this year, I still think he can be an effective reliever out of the MLB pen next season.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

With a week left to play, Vespi has a chance to accomplish the rare feat of finishing the AAA season with a 0.00 ERA.

Obviously there are a lot of caveats there, as his innings count is relatively low (26.2) due to being part of the shuttle between the minors and majors, but still, that would be a neat accomplishment that I have to imagine is pretty rare.  While his 0.64 WHIP didn't quite translate to the majors this year, I still think he can be an effective reliever out of the MLB pen next season.

I think he's as reliable as a Bryan Baker as he is even though he does it in a different way.   If he can keep the ball down a little more consistently I could see him as a nugget.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think he's as reliable as a Bryan Baker as he is even though he does it in a different way.   If he can keep the ball down a little more consistently I could see him as a nugget.

I like your optimism but I think Baker is on a different level. Baker could fit somewhere between the Brach/Givens roles of the past. Especially before they got established. Very similar numbers in their first years with us. 

Vespi an outside shot a Orioles MILB POY?  Haha

Vespi needs to come up with an out pitch versus lefties. Right now he’s not Baker, he’s more Diplan. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I like your optimism but I think Baker is on a different level. Baker could fit somewhere between the Brach/Givens roles of the past. Especially before they got established. Very similar numbers in their first years with us. 

Vespi an outside shot a Orioles MILB POY?  Haha

Vespi needs to come up with an out pitch versus lefties. Right now he’s not Baker, he’s more Diplan. 

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  Vespi makes LH hitters look foolish at times. It's about consistent location.  I'll take Vespi's slider as a better out pitch and swing and miss pitch against both RH and LH hitters over any one pitch that Baker has.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I guess we'll agree to disagree.  Vespi makes LH hitters look foolish at times. It's about consistent location.  I'll take Vespi's slider as a better out pitch and swing and miss pitch against both RH and LH hitters over any one pitch that Baker has.

Problem with Vespi is he’s extremely vulnerable when he’s not hitting his spots.