Ryan Mountcastle 2022

Tony-OH

Ryan's approach at the plate is among the worst on the team.He's continually behind in counts swinging at pitchers' pitches.Last night he swung at a pitch a foot and a half inside.He constantly flails at the low and away sliders while other times he's missing pitches down the middle.I know he had a decent June,but other than that,he has taken a step back.He hasn't had a big part in the recent winning.I hope it's the sophomore jinx.He needs to step his game up.He plays a premium position.Here's hoping he snaps out of it.

• Upvote 1

Mountcastle is what he is. I've noticed something from watching his AB's.  He'll swing at virtually anything before he has two strikes and then becomes more selective once he gets two strikes. I would imagine that Mountcastle gets behind in the count more than anyone besides Mateo (who seems to want to change).  I think the ultra aggressiveness is a choice Mountcastle has made as a hitter. He feels it works for him.  I need to look at his splits. We may find that he's not that good when ahead in the count and one of the better 2 strike hitters.

He's not my cup of tea as a hitter. 

I would guess that Mountcastle's style might not make him a nugget with the current regime.  We have a lot of prospects getting close.  Converting one (Vavra, Westburg/Mayo/Stowers)  to 1B doesn't seem that farfetched. 

Mountcastle is streaky, he can be hard to watch, he doesn't walk etc...but for perspective:

He is 11th in all of MLB in barrels/PA. He is elite in exit velocity, hard hit %, and expected slugging. Basically, he's hit into some bad luck, his expected slugging is .519. And he's still young

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, seak05 said:

Mountcastle is streaky, he can be hard to watch, he doesn't walk etc...but for perspective:

He is 11th in all of MLB in barrels/PA. He is elite in exit velocity, hard hit %, and expected slugging. Basically, he's hit into some bad luck, his expected slugging is .519. And he's still young

That all sounds good. If the bottom line is a .800 ish 1B who plays a average to below average defense at 1B, I think he's replaceable and has some trade value.  I think his ultra aggressive approach prevents him from becoming much more than what he is, which is decent. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That all sounds good. If the bottom line is a .800 ish 1B who plays a average to below average defense at 1B, I think he's replaceable and has some trade value.  I think his ultra aggressive approach prevents him from becoming much more than what he is, which is decent. 

I would agree with you, but Kyle Schwarber just signed an 4/79m dollar contract 

20 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He needs to get some time with AR.  He could be a great hitter if he was more selective.  

In a way he reminds me of Adam Jones. Jones would, for a week or two, all of a sudden look like he was becoming a disciplined hitter. He’d finally lay off the low and outside sliders even though you could tell it was taking all his strength to not swing. 

And then he’d revert back to his old habits, swinging away practically everything and missing. 

So I always wondered with Jones, was it trouble with pitch recognition? Couldn’t be, he had those times where he’d lay off. Did he think he could actually hit the stuff he was swinging on and missing? Must have. I remember one time actually cussing at Jones because he did line a low and outside slider for a base hit and I figured he’d get that jolt of confidence to make him think he could hit that pitch on the regular. That confirmation bias, “Yeah, I swung and missed at the other 20 of them, but did you see that one!? I did it once I can do it again!”

I see the same thing with Mountcastle. Looks disciplined for a little bit, but can’t sustain it. Keeps reverting back into a hacker. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think his ultra aggressive approach prevents him from becoming much more than what he is, which is decent. 

This. He will hit mistakes but not much else, and it's obvious the league knows they can throw outside the strike zone to him most of the time.

37 minutes ago, FlaO'sFan said:

This. He will hit mistakes but not much else, and it's obvious the league knows they can throw outside the strike zone to him most of the time.

That’s not very fair, he has great bat speed and gets to plenty good pitches around the zone. Just nothing down and away which is where they attack him.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

He needs to get some time with AR.  He could be a great hitter if he was more selective.  

In a way he reminds me of Adam Jones. Jones would, for a week or two, all of a sudden look like he was becoming a disciplined hitter. He’d finally lay off the low and outside sliders even though you could tell it was taking all his strength to not swing. 

And then he’d revert back to his old habits, swinging away practically everything and missing. 

So I always wondered with Jones, was it trouble with pitch recognition? Couldn’t be, he had those times where he’d lay off. Did he think he could actually hit the stuff he was swinging on and missing? Must have. I remember one time actually cussing at Jones because he did line a low and outside slider for a base hit and I figured he’d get that jolt of confidence to make him think he could hit that pitch on the regular. That confirmation bias, “Yeah, I swung and missed at the other 20 of them, but did you see that one!? I did it once I can do it again!”

I see the same thing with Mountcastle. Looks disciplined for a little bit, but can’t sustain it. Keeps reverting back into a hacker. 

I don't believe Mountcastle believes he'd be better if he worked to count more.

47 minutes ago, survivedc said:

That’s not very fair, he has great bat speed and gets to plenty good pitches around the zone. Just nothing down and away which is where they attack him.

Point taken. I like Ryan and think he could be a great hitter, but imo he will never get there unless he changes his approach. 

• Upvote 1