The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

This makes sense to me.

I don't see Boston going higher than the contract they gave Manny.

They don't need Tex...he is a luxury for them. He is a luxury they are willing to get but they aren't going to get insane for him IMO...They just don't need to and are smarter than that IMO.

I could see them getting involved in a potential Fielder trade or something like that.

I also could see them just keep what they have and just hope to be healthier next year...As currently constructed, a healthy Red Sox team is the best team in the AL IMO.

I hope John Henry had his money invested in the Ponzi as well.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, i would agree with that but with Lars Anderson coming up and with other FAs coming onto the market in coming years, Tex is less of a long term need for the Sox than he is for some other teams.

I wonder if the Sox might think about some other kind of deal with Anderson for pitching.

I also think that the Sox might be really nervous about the health of Ortiz. Maybe they do think that they have to find a hitter for this year, and Manny sure isn't an option for them.

I wonder if the Sox might think about some other kind of deal with Anderson for pitching.

I also think that the Sox might be really nervous about the health of Ortiz. Maybe they do think that they have to find a hitter for this year, and Manny sure isn't an option for them.

They could always sign Adam Dunn to play LF and shift Bay to RF and Drew to CF and use Ellsbury as the 4th OFer.

I also think they might get a Giles/Peavy combo to combat the signings of Burnett and Sabathia.

What do you make of LAA in all of this. Its been pretty quiet on that end, other than the 8/160 offer that was supposedly made the other day.

They are like the Red Sox...They aren't going to go nuts.

I am going to say that it is us or the Nats, assuming both teams are willing to go well over the 8/160 mark.

It is going to end up being the idea of who is crazier.

End of the day, I think Boston and Anaheim are a little "too sane" to go that nuts.

I am going to say that it is us or the Nats, assuming both teams are willing to go well over the 8/160 mark.

End of the day, I think Boston and Anaheim are a little "too sane" to go that nuts.

I think the Nats ceiling likely wont be higher than the above offer. I think its safe to say that if the Orioles could,would & should easily have the highest offer. Tex offers the Orioles the highest in intagible value as a hometown guy.

Consider this ... Lets say the O's get a few starters & are competative. I dont believe it will take as long as it did Tampa to get the fans back in droves. What if we went back to drawing 35,000 per game. The impact would be huge & give the Orioles plenty of money to make signings next year if necessary.

They could always sign Adam Dunn to play LF and shift Bay to RF and Drew to CF and use Ellsbury as the 4th OFer.

I also think they might get a Giles/Peavy combo to combat the signings of Burnett and Sabathia.

I dont think Boston wil go for a outfielder they would not want to bench Ellsbury and if they did sign Dunn i would think they would try to use him at first base.

End of the day, I think Boston and Anaheim are a little "too sane" to go that nuts.[/QUOTE]

Do you think it would be "sane" not to go crazy for the one superstar we could possibly obtain?

Some new info from Roch about Ravens-gate:

Cal Ripken did not sit with Teixeira at the Ravens game yesterday. Ripken has a suite at M&T Bank Stadium and occupies it when his schedule allows, but he never saw Teixeira.

The Orioles haven't asked Ripken to meet with Teixeira and sell him on the organization. Teixeira doesn't need a tour of the city. He's quite familiar with it. But it couldn't hurt to have the Hall of Famer spend a day with him and deliver some sort of sales pitch. I'm sure it would make an impression.

What is the time table right now? Is it believed he will be signed by the end of the week? If we do sign him are we going to start throwing money around for pitchers and perhaps other position players or are we sticking to the rebuilding course?

That is the difference between them and us, we are desperate they are not.

Right...Which is funny since they can win it all but we have a different kind of desperation than they do.

To me, this has always come down to 2 things:

1) How crazy are we willing to go?

2) How crazy will everyone else go?

The idea of winning, hometown and things like that matter to an extent but ultimately, the almighty dollar is the determining factor in this.

What is the time table right now? Is it believed he will be signed by the end of the week? If we do sign him are we going to start throwing money around for pitchers and perhaps other position players or are we sticking to the rebuilding course?

I believe this is supposed to be resolved by the end of the week. Doesn't mean its going to...

We're looking into the pitching next. I think we're going to continue to rebuild, but not forfeit this season by any means.

Thanks for the info BBD.

Do you get the sense that this employee really has access to what might be going on with Boston and Tex?

Honestly, I don't think anybody really has access to that exactly maybe Theo Epstein and Scott Boras.

The guy who gave me the $160-million figure does NOT work for the Sox. Like many of us, he's very passionate about his team. Unlike most of us, he actually has relationships with team employees and visits the club offices regularly.

I passed it along because he's more mature and informed than the average SOSH poster, and is located behind enemy lines.

Agreed.

Some are reading Mike Scioscia's comments about possibly signing Manny Ramirez as a sign that the Angels are recognizing that Tex won't be remaining in Anaheim.

Belkast warned of all kinds of negative reports and that's what we're getting. Here's hoping Tex's desire to know where he'll be playing by Christmas leads to a resolution in a week or less.

Archived