The Mark Teixeira Watch part III

Dirtyburnie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this Tex deal goes down I think that it signals a watershed moment in the history of the O’s. We will have taken a desired player away from the financial giants in our division. The last time we did that was with Belle. A lot of people talk like the Belle deal was bad it simply was not the case. He was a hitter on par with Manny and only injury changed that. We as fans have had to endure a string of inept FOs for a decade, but this appears to have finally changed. AM has done a very good job IMO. We actually appear to have a plan and are actually making progress in fulfilling the plan.

I think we all need to give PA some credit even if the deal does not go down. We could not even be in this Tex game if it were not for PA’s deal concerning the Nats. We ended up getting a RSN out of it and we ended up in essence having a revenue sharing arrangement with the Nats TV rights. This is really a difference maker in trying to compete with big boys. It does not put us on equal ground but atleast we have a gun in the gunfight.

Well, those were the glory days of wrestling. Who wasn't into it back then. Of course, I was still not a teenager but, Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Andre the Giant, Million Dollar Man. Back when wrestling was real:D

Well, I haven't really paid attention to pro wrestling in my adult life...but I remember I had to sit through a lot of it on TV when I was growing up since my father was really into it...but that was in the days of Bruno Samartino (sp?), Bobo Brazil, Haystacks Calhoun, Skull Murphy...and one of my favorite names of all times...Gordo Chihuahua.

Just put on ESPN radio and the update guy just said something to the effect of "Teixeira told Ravich that he is close to making a decision and is considering his hometown and that the Nats are in it as much as the Red Sox and Angels." NOTHING about the Orioles.

Maybe "considering his hometown" is the Orioles reference?

Pretty much.

You have to think Tex will draw people out to see them. If the Birds can get off to a hot start like they did last year, all of that with Wieters on top should translate into increases in ticket sales.

Any noticeable increase in ticket sales will be in the form of season tickets.

Just put on ESPN radio and the update guy just said something to the effect of "Teixeira told Ravich that he is close to making a decision and is considering his hometown and that the Nats are in it as much as the Red Sox and Angels." NOTHING about the Orioles.

You beat me to it. What is the deal with that. According to others, Ravich specifically mentioned the O's several times but now suddenly Picosi has decided to leave the O's off the report?

The update guy is saying another quote. The quote we are talking about has "Tex and Boras coming back to the Orioles" because of a desire to play for his hometown team.

http://masnsports.com/index_blog_roch.html

Just put on ESPN radio and the update guy just said something to the effect of "Teixeira told Ravich that he is close to making a decision and is
considering his hometown
and that the Nats are in it as much as the Red Sox and Angels." NOTHING about the Orioles.

Tex's hometown team was & is the Orioles:D

What I see here is more of the tight-lipped philosophy used by AM and the O's FO. I have the feeling the O's are wanting to make this signing the biggest PR announcement in their history. It's all the more sweeter for the fans if all you hear about are the Sux, Skanks, and the Angels, and then the O's swoop in and take him away from the perennial front-runners.

Guest rochester
Yeah, I don't get that point of view. I think we are 2-3 years away from contending and if we sign Tex for 8-10 years we'll have him already locked up when we are ready to contend. There are no guarantees that there will be someone of his caliber on the market as soon as we are ready to contend, and especially someone that can be the face of the franchise.

Excellent point - as most of these are...

Still can not wait until it is done - will we get trashed, frankly dear I don't give a damn!

This signing needs to be done. In conjunction with the revenue aspect it is a sign to Baltimore and (more importantly IMO) the league that things are indeed changing.

This whole ordeal (thus far:rolleyes:) has been very contentious-felt like we were back into the Presidential race....this reporter is biased, our insiders are wrong...wait until we sign him, then what will the national media do, blah blah blah.

From what I have read (with a grain of salt) is that this ordeal has even hit Roch a little - from my years of reading him that says a lot!

There has been some potential line-ups thrown out there with Tex...strangely, one thing sticks out only because I my feelings are a bit different than many - if we have a lineup that forces Melmo to #8 (when Weiters is ready) then, IMO, that is a playoff-caliber line-up. But....pitching, pitching, pitching

We just need good young inventory to maintain a line-up anchored by Tex, BRob, Kakes, Jones and Weiter.

It will all come down to pitching and only inexpensive filler is going to come from ***ency. Let's hope our young guys stay healthy and better than we hoped.

I am not totally pessimistic this year - if we stay healthy our BP is not bad at all...I am not a big proponent of this but if our BP is healthy and fine then short term answer may be some innings guys. Either way, if some of our young P's come through I predict we make some serious noise in 2010.

Of course, get Kakes and BRob signed...I happen to think that BRob will be productive for another 3-4 years.

Archived