The attendance thread 2022

Frobby

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

A weekend series with the Yankees will do that.  I’m sure the Nats will outdraw us, though their attendance will probably drop.

Maybe. With the Nats being down this year I could see the O's staying close this year attendance wise. Nats Park looks  empty again today. DC teams only draw when they are winning. 

The attempts to get a new ballpark in Oakland have been going on for 10 or 15 years, and there have been several proposed cites, plus a stab at moving to San Jose (or somewhere around there). I've been following this mess fairly closely for the last for or five years. In the mid- to late 2010s, the Raiders decided to move to Las Vegas, the Warriors departed for San Francisco, John Fisher purchased Lew Wolff's controlling interest in the A's and installed Dave Kaval as team president, and the new-ballpark effort turned to a site at the Oakland Harbor, Howard Terminal. The Howard Terminal project is complicated in lots of ways -- access/transportation, environmental clearances and, of course, litigation and financing issues as the A's try to apply pressure for public money to save Oakland's last major league sports franchise. 

The A's are making a very public show of considering a move to Las Vegas, and it appears that plans for a domed stadium there are in the works. I used to think MLB would be unlikely consider Vegas, but the speed and enthusiasm with which it has embraced sports betting has wiped away that doubt. It may be that Kaval and the A's are presenting a  Vegas alternative just to put pressure on Oakland to get moving on the Howard Terminal project -- a ploy that teams seeking new stadiums have used over and over to exact a better deal from local and  state governments, most recently in Buffalo -- but recently Kaval and the A's have stepped up their visits to Las Vegas and the publicity around them, and MLB's courageous commissioner, Rob Manfred, has approved (whatever that means) the A's consideration of a move to Nevada. https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/athletics/as-potential-las-vegas-ballpark-site-could-be-released-in-may-2555127/

Here's an up-to-date-summary of this mess:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/gabe-lacques/2022/04/20/athletics-dismal-attendance-shows-fans-were-listening-oakland-mlb/7382223001/

11 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

The attempts to get a new ballpark in Oakland have been going on for 10 or 15 years, and there have been several proposed cites, plus a stab at moving to San Jose (or somewhere around there). I've been following this mess fairly closely for the last for or five years. In the mid- to late 2010s, the Raiders decided to move to Las Vegas, the Warriors departed for San Francisco, John Fisher purchased Lew Wolff's controlling interest in the A's and installed Dave Kaval as team president, and the new-ballpark effort turned to a site at the Oakland Harbor, Howard Terminal. The Howard Terminal project is complicated in lots of ways -- access/transportation, environmental clearances and, of course, litigation and financing issues as the A's try to apply pressure for public money to save Oakland's last major league sports franchise. 

The A's are making a very public show of considering a move to Las Vegas, and it appears that plans for a domed stadium there are in the works. I used to think MLB would be unlikely consider Vegas, but the speed and enthusiasm with which it has embraced sports betting has wiped away that doubt. It may be that Kaval and the A's are presenting a  Vegas alternative just to put pressure on Oakland to get moving on the Howard Terminal project -- a ploy that teams seeking new stadiums have used over and over to exact a better deal from local and  state governments, most recently in Buffalo -- but recently Kaval and the A's have stepped up their visits to Las Vegas and the publicity around them, and MLB's courageous commissioner, Rob Manfred, has approved (whatever that means) the A's consideration of a move to Nevada. https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/athletics/as-potential-las-vegas-ballpark-site-could-be-released-in-may-2555127/

Here's an up-to-date-summary of this mess:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/gabe-lacques/2022/04/20/athletics-dismal-attendance-shows-fans-were-listening-oakland-mlb/7382223001/

I assume it's the lure of gambling dollars, but otherwise I don't get the infatuation with Las Vegas as a major sports market.  They're 40th in media market size, and 29th in population of the metro area.  In population they're in a dead heat with Cincy and Kansas City, behind Sacramento, Portland, San Antonio, Charlotte, a million behind Tampa and San Diego.  In media markets they're on par with Grand Rapids and Harrisburg., behind places like Greenville, Columbus, Hartford.  They would be one of the smallest areas with a MLB team.  And once you're 10 miles from city center there is nothing for three hours.

I guess they have to think that the tie in to gamblers is worth likely poor attendance and ratings.  And they've long since abandoned the idea that the risk to the game's integrity by accepting gambling money is worth worrying about.

On 4/20/2022 at 5:43 PM, Frobby said:

A weekend series with the Yankees will do that.  I’m sure the Nats will outdraw us, though their attendance will probably drop.

I think it could be much closer then usual. Orioles have some favorable weekend matchups. Nats interieague at home is Houston, Seattle and Oakland. Orioles for two in September in the middle of the week ,when both teams will be long out of the pennant race.Plus the Orioles have some prospects that might pump up attendance when and if they get called up. Don't think the Nationals have any. Maybe the Orioles even out draw them a little bit 

On 4/20/2022 at 9:50 PM, Going Underground said:

You should read some of the articles how they raised season ticket prices since 2019 to almost double. Plus did away with  the popular A's All Acess plan.Then basically gutted the team with the 1st or 2nd lowest payroll. Also threatening to move and an owner who barely talks 

That owner is obviously trying to move the team to Vegas. He figures if he can crash the attendance MLB has to let him move. 

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That owner is obviously trying to move the team to Vegas. He figures if he can crash the attendance MLB has to let him move. 

I think the A's owner would be very happy to go through with the proposed stadium project in Oakland. But that's looking less and less possible and, at best, more and more years away. Media reports tend to say that the team's recent behavior has been calculated to show the local and state authorities just how terrible their current situation is, in order to enlist support for the new Oakland stadium, rather than to justify a move to Las Vegas. 

I don't think the A's would have a problem getting the owners' permission to move, given the problems they face in Oakland, and at this point it looks as though they could get a new stadium in Nevada before they'd get one in Oakland. But there's been little or no public disclosure of how the Las Vegas stadium would be financed, and it's been reported by the New York Post that Manfred is getting into the act by insisting that public money be made available:

Manfred, however, also has signaled to Gov. Sisolak and the A’s that he will not approve the move unless Nevada provides some public financing for a $1 billion-plus, 30,000-seat, domed stadium. That’s because Manfred does not want to set a bad precedent for other owners looking to negotiate their own new stadium deals, sources said.

While Manfred did not set a minimum for the public financing, insiders said it is believed to be in the range of $275 million.

https://www.fieldofschemes.com/page/2/