Expansion Team in Nashville?

Can_of_corn

I don't understand baseball expanding.  There are several teams that seem to struggle to support themselves.  Tampa Bay, Oakland and Florida come to mind.  Some might put Baltimore in that category.  I think Oakland should move to Las Vegas and Florida move to Nashville.  I assume there's hundreds of millions to be made from selling an expansion team, but it's relatively little when divided up between 30 teams.

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't understand baseball expanding.  There are several teams that seem to struggle to support themselves.  Tampa Bay, Oakland and Florida come to mind.  Some might put Baltimore in that category.  I think Oakland should move to Las Vegas and Florida move to Nashville.  I assume there's hundreds of millions to be made from selling an expansion team, but it's relatively little when divided up between 30 teams.

If new teams have to pay a 2B buy in fee does it make more sense to you?

I'm good with a team in Nashville on if they rebuild Sulphur Dell and play there. Yes, all those hills and slopes and terraces were in play.  It was 262' to RF, but the hill was probably 20-30' higher than the infield, and the wall was another 20-30'. This was the configuration into the 1960s.

People complained about the little hill that used to be in Houston's current park, but compared to Sulphur Dell that's trivially insignificant.

Sulphur_Dell_in_color.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2022 at 4:06 PM, Can_of_corn said:

If new teams have to pay a 2B buy in fee does it make more sense to you?

One time shot of $2B divided 30 ways ($67M), compared to dividing up all shared revenues 32 ways instead of 30 for the rest of time. Probably makes sense for the owners.  But if it was a no-brainer wouldn't MLB have 40 or 50 teams by now? I'd guess that there are at least 10 cities who could come up with an ownership group with a $1-2B expansion fee.

On 4/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't think baseball in Las Vegas is sustainable.  I think football is a better match for Vegas.  I'd like to see the A's land in Portland.

Charlotte and Nashville are both good spots to relocate or expand.  Both would probably eat into the Braves revenue streams, but whatever.  If Miami/Tampa move, maybe it opens up some more local TV revenues for the team that stays.

54 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I don't think baseball in Las Vegas is sustainable. 

I don't understand the A's fascination with Vegas, either.  Metro area population is in the same ballpark as Cincy or KC, only with three hours of desert once you get 10 miles from city center.  Their Nielsen media market is about on par with Harrisburg and Grand Rapids.  I guess they're counting on major interest from gamblers? That's healthy.

Without some unholy gambling alliance I would think there are at least 10 better candidates for a team.

41 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't understand the A's fascination with Vegas, either.  Metro area population is in the same ballpark as Cincy or KC, only with three hours of desert once you get 10 miles from city center.  Their Nielsen media market is about on par with Harrisburg and Grand Rapids.  I guess they're counting on major interest from gamblers? That's healthy.

Without some unholy gambling alliance I would think there are at least 10 better candidates for a team.

Las Vegas attracts over 40 million tourists a year (pre-pandemic).   Not all of them want to gamble 24 hours a day.  I’d bet their attendance would be very good.  Their hockey games sell out every night.   

• Upvote 1

On 4/22/2022 at 3:45 PM, Can_of_corn said:

I have to agree with Dave that the only way he's getting back into an MLB front office is if he owns the franchise.

I do think that the Angels are majority minority owned so I'm not sure about that line.

I immediately thought of this instance from well,  30 years ago.  
https://vgc.news/features/that-time-when-nintendo-bought-a-baseball-team/

If there would be any argument about the definition of “majority minority-owned”  it could be stated that “Hiroshi Yamauchi could still pay 60% and own a majority share of the team, but he had to agree to limit his voting interest to 49%. The team may be owned by a Japanese man, but in case of any internal conflicts, Americans should have the final say on how it should be run.” (quote taken from above linked article)

Interesting, Dave Stewart was pitching for the Oakland A’s as a 35 year old at the time.  You might think his memory would remember playing the “Seattle Nintendo” numerous times in the AL West that year.   So he might want to be careful carrying forward this “majority minority owned” narrative. 

Let’s not derail this with political rhetoric.  I am sure that 1992 having been just a bit over 50 years after Pearl Harbor, there were still a number of septuagenarian’s that would have been upset with a Japanese owner of a franchise of “America’s Pastime”.
In 2022 however it seems a bit “WOW” that someone could be told you can pay for 60% of the team but your votes will only be worth 49%. 

7 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

as MLB is struggling to maintain what they currently have, expansion seams the worst route to take.

It wasnt that long ago, there was a contraction discussions and remove a team or two for the "good of the game'.

I don't think you can say MLB is struggling, before the pandemic revenue was at a record high.

I'd be interested to know all the backroom shenanigans involved with that contract scheme.  Was it just a ploy for the Twins to get a new stadium?  I don't know.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you can say MLB is struggling, before the pandemic revenue was at a record high.

I'd be interested to know all the backroom shenanigans involved with that contract scheme.  Was it just a ploy for the Twins to get a new stadium?  I don't know.

Attendance is down, cable tv money is keeping some teams afloat and that was before the pandemic.

MLB has lost popularity over the years, and is no longer the number sport in the USA. Some say, its no longer number 2.

Is it close to dead, no, but gimmicks/tweaks to make the game better, isn't  reality either.

You raise an interesting theory about backroom shenanigans to help the twins. Maybe, I wouldnt put it past the MLB to do this.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Attendance is down, cable tv money is keeping some teams afloat and that was before the pandemic.

MLB has lost popularity over the years, and is no longer the number sport in the USA. Some say, its no longer number 2.

Is it close to dead, no, but gimmicks/tweaks to make the game better, isn't  reality either.

You raise an interesting theory about backroom shenanigans to help the twins. Maybe, I wouldnt put it past the MLB to do this.

When the Royals sell for a billion I question if any team is just "keeping afloat".

Revenue is up, franchise values are up.  They just signed a new deal with Apple.

They're fine, even if they have fewer fans in the physical seats.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When the Royals sell for a billion I question if any team is just "keeping afloat".

Revenue is up, franchise values are up.  They just signed a new deal with Apple.

They're fine, even if they have fewer fans in the physical seats.

the youngsters, seam to have no interest in professional baseball, nor do they play in rec sports like they used to.