ESPN's Ravech: Teixeira has "enormous attraction to the Orioles" Close to signing

Tony-OH

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we get Tex those guys will say it is a bad signing for the Orioles and they paid too much. If the Red Sox get Tex they will say it is a great signing for them and should cement 1B for the next 5 years on a championship caliber team.

The Orioles can't win with the media, and if you ever exepct anything different until they are beating the yanks and sox day in and day out then you are misguided.

Those jerks! Who are they to say it makes more sense for a Championship Caliber team to give a 29 year old 1B 200 million than it does for a fourth place team that's Front Office has more or less conceded is 2-3 years away.

Wait...:scratchchinhmm:

Anybody know if the Nationals board or the Red Sox board is so excited? or what their insiders are hearing?

.... I am very cautiously optimistic!!!!

Just checked out SOSH. Interesting. discussimg the merits of B'mores farm system vs Gnats, Camden Yards as a hitters park, FA hometown savior signings. Seem a little concernesd about B'more's chances.:scratchchinhmm: http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?showtopic=38367&st=680

If we get Tex those guys will say it is a bad signing for the Orioles and they paid too much. If the Red Sox get Tex they will say it is a great signing for them and should cement 1B for the next 5 years on a championship caliber team.

The Orioles can't win with the media, and if you ever exepct anything different until they are beating the yanks and sox day in and day out then you are misguided.

Signing the FA first and trying to build around them rarely works so I'm not sure why anyone would think the media should endorse that philosophy.

Signing the big name FA as the final piece to a championship puzzle makes all kinds of sense. I'm not sure why anyone would think the media would not endorse that kind of move.

It isn't some kind of anti-Orioles bias. It just isn't.

The evidence is that he doesn't if the client decides its in their best interest to end up in a particular location. Too much smoke for their not to be fire with incidents where a player wants to go somewhere specific and being forced to dump or go around Boras to accomplish that. If their interests are in alignment (biggest contract possible) then he is great.

That said, if we find out Teix could end up being the first (or at least the first I am aware of) Boras client to to take a lessor contract to play for the Orioles he'll immediately become one of my favorite players.

Lost in the avalanche of posts on this thread is a post I put up earlier about an interview I read earlier today in the May, 2005 issue of FHM magazine.

In it is an interview with Boras where he claims that over half of his clients didn't take the offer that included the most money. I leave it up to you to determine how much credibility to grant such a statement, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were more common than his reputation suggests.

I find it difficult to believe that all of his clients are as pliable as you imply, although I'm sure some are.

Those jerks! Who are they to say it makes more sense for a Championship Caliber team to give a 29 year old 1B 200 million than it does for a fourth place team that's Front Office has more or less conceded is 2-3 years away.

Wait...:scratchchinhmm:

In Olney's opinion the only teams playing should be Yankees,Sox,Dodgers,Mets. The rest of the teams should just be AAA.

At the very end Teix decides whether or not to sign, but there is evidence with several players that he's willing to be (not just seem to be) underhanded, manipulative and to engage in actions directly contradictory to his clients wishes.

As you mention most clients hire him because their primary objective is to get the highest contract possible. If there are things more important to a player than landing the biggest contract possible then absolutely Boras is an awful choice.

I really haven't heard anything as far as players being unhappy with things that Boras has done for them. Agree, though. If there are more important things than "I want as much money as possible," then Scott Boras isn't a good choice.

But moreover, as underhanded and manipulative as he is, he works for the player. If he really went against his players wishes to that degree, I don't think he'd have the client base that he has.

Archived