Utterly disastrous start to the season...

DocJJ

8 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Keep trying for disaster, Doc.  Good luck!

Interesting how Rhodes, Prieto, Burns, Hernaiz, all failed to make your positive list. 

Hey, he mentioned a few positive things in that post.  I think that's the most I've ever seen from the good doctor.  Baby steps! :)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Bump:

Norby .247

Cowser .253 (with 32 K's)

Westburg .195 

Stowers .235

Kjerstad- still no professional at-bats 

On the positive side:

Diaz .356 (until he gets hurt again)

Mayo .270

Haskin .328

Rutschman .428 (only a handful of appearances)

Henderson .289

Weird to only note batting average, one of the least informative of all baseball stats. 

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't;'t call any of these "truly disastrous" starts.  The biggest ones to watch for me are Cowser and Westburg - while the averages are low, I think mostly the product of a couple weeks slump that can easily be rectified with a couple hot weeks.  Henderson got off to a slow start, but been on fire the last couple weeks and nobody even remembers the slow start anymore.

Would like to see Stowers hit for better average, but even his other numbers aren't horrible.  Again, a couple hot weeks makes his numbers look a lot better.   Kjerstad season hasn't started yet, so anxious for that as well.  

All in all, I think the org has to be pretty pleased with the progress from prospects.  We'll get some good pitching prospects up this year, and then a lot of offensive options out there over the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

Re: Kjerstad, it's been about 6 weeks. I believe the initial timeframe they gave was 8-12 weeks. So we still have 2-6 more weeks before he's doing much of anything baseball related, and he may not even get assigned to a team for more weeks. We should expect almost nothing statistically from him this year. Like if he hits .100 for a month or two, it means nothing for me. This year is just about purely getting his feet wet. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Re: Kjerstad, it's been about 6 weeks. I believe the initial timeframe they gave was 8-12 weeks. So we still have 2-6 more weeks before he's doing much of anything baseball related, and he may not even get assigned to a team for more weeks. We should expect almost nothing statistically from him this year. Like if he hits .100 for a month or two, it means nothing for me. This year is just about purely getting his feet wet. 

This is crazy talk.  He's probably going to be assigned to Aberdeen.  If he comes back healthy and gets 200 at bats there and hits .100 as a 23 year old.......it means something.  It means he's probably going to be a bust. 

I'm expecting him to come back around mid-season and hopefully he shows he's too advanced for A ball and can finish the season at Bowie. 

I don't think any expectation for Kjerstad can be wrong.  I'm certainly hopeful that he hits the ground running as Chuck mentions above, but I have no idea what to expect.  He hasn't seen any live pitching for over 2 years.  That's an eternity and something that I don't know that we really have many good comparisons for.  Word was he looked pretty good in ST before the injury, but doesn't everybody look good in ST?

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

This is crazy talk.  He's probably going to be assigned to Aberdeen.  If he comes back healthy and gets 200 at bats there and hits .100 as a 23 year old.......it means something.  It means he's probably going to be a bust. 

I'm expecting him to come back around mid-season and hopefully he shows he's too advanced for A ball and can finish the season at Bowie. 

I have to disagree that it means much of anything. Guy hasn't seen live pitching in games in 2 years. How can you have any expectations at all really? 

40 minutes ago, interloper said:

I have to disagree that it means much of anything. Guy hasn't seen live pitching in games in 2 years. How can you have any expectations at all really? 

I don't think coming off of a long layoff is going to make him completely inept against low level competition.  The talent and skills should still be there.  

This is not a high school player.  He's experienced against high level college competition and I would expect him to adapt fairly quickly, assuming he is healthy.   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think coming off of a long layoff is going to make him completely inept against low level competition.  The talent and skills should still be there.  

This is not a high school player.  He's experienced against high level college competition and I would expect him to adapt fairly quickly, assuming he is healthy.   

Ok, that's fair. I certainly hope he does well!

• 2 weeks later...

“disastrous”…

Stowers .198 OPS .675

Westburg .208 OPS .776

Ortiz .210 OPS .622

Mayo .233 OPS .769

Cowser .223 OPS .736

there are a few bright spots:

Prieto OPS 1.040

Haskin OPS .932

Henderson OPS .958

Rhodes OPS .940